Help needed with pausing and or looping

• 18 February 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +8

Hello All,

I'm new to Nintex and have created a list with a pretty decent workflow. However, I am having some issue understanding how to set one component up.

I have a pretty large list that is basically a tracking log, with data input by multiple people.

Once a line is entered, I have a column that calculates a due date (adds 5 days to the date of entry).

I need for the workflow to send another person a notification when that date comes. I'm not sure of the best way to do this.

Please advise

7 replies

Badge +9

Hi Howard,

I shall go to a schedule workflow for that.

Each night, query the list to find the entries matching the due date with today and send the memo to the other person.

You will need a Query List action for that.

Best regards,

Christophe

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello -

Christophe Raucq​  suggestion is spot on. If you create a site workflow that queries through your list and finds the items where [due_date] = [today], you can then send a notification. This keeps the list workflow from running for extended periods. You can schedule the site workflow to run everyday or whenever you desire.

Badge +8

Thank you for your help.

Should that action be before the e-mail?

I'm sorry but I have never used Nintex prior to this and all of this is new and confusing to me.

I'm assuming I whould be using the "query builder" option, select the list.

Do I make it recursive?

filter it to be the calculated date column is equal to "current date".

Do I keep XML encoded inserted tokens checked

and what is "Field?" (not sure what to select here).

I also don't see an option to select when the query runs.

After all of this is done, then what? lol

Do I just left the workflow continue on to "send notification" and all of the rest of the actions?

Sorry for so many questions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

This is how I would approach it:

Workflow Variables:

177610_pastedImage_17.png

The workflow itself:

177604_pastedImage_0.png

Query the list:

177605_pastedImage_1.png

I am looking at a date column [currentDatePlus3] and seeing if it is equal to today. If it is, I am saving the item's [CreatedBy] and [ID] into a collection so I can loop through them later.

Loop through the collection using For Each action:

177606_pastedImage_4.png

I use the item's [ID] and loop through the collection and store the individual [ID] into a variable for future use (if required for creating URLs or anything else).

Get the corresponding [CreatedBy] for the specific item using a collection operation:

177607_pastedImage_10.png

Grab the item's [CreatedBy] so we can email them.

Send the email:

177608_pastedImage_11.png

Now that we have the specific item and we know who we want to email, we can compose the notification as we see fit.

If there is more information you want to use, simply create a collection and store the data so you can use it once you drill down to the specific item.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

guerlain.howard@amerigroup.com​ -

Have you been able to resolve your issues? Let us know what you did and what steps you took!

Badge +8

Yes, I did exactly what you advised. Thanks so much!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Glad to hear it!

Make sure you make Frank Field​'s day by marking your question as answered!