cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mlauer
Nintex Newbie

Repeating section as html table in mail

A simple way to convert Nintex Forms Repeating section XML data to a HTML table is using a XLS transformation. To do the transformation only one action is needed: Query XML.

Here is a simple example (Forms 2013, Workflow 2013). The form looks like:

Repeating section contains three single line controls named 'last_name', 'first_name', 'company' and is connected to workflow variable 'contacts_xml' of type 'Multiple lines of text'.

XML-content of contacts_xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><RepeaterData><Version /><Items><Item><last_name type="System.String">Lauer</last_name><first_name type="System.String">Manfred</first_name><company type="System.String">KOB</company></Item><Item><last_name type="System.String">Billing</last_name><first_name type="System.String">Emily</first_name><company type="System.String">Nintex</company></Item></Items></RepeaterData>

xml to html transformation is made with a Query XML action. XML source is workflow variable contacts_xml, result will be stored in workflow variable contacts_html

Here is complete XSLT as text:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

<!-- transform repeating section from xml to html -->

<xsl:template match="/">

<xsl:apply-templates />

</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Items">

<table border="1" width="100%" style="border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eee;border:1px solid;color:black;font-size:100%;font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;">

<thead>

<tr>

<td>first name</td>

<td>name</td>

<td>company</td>

</tr>

</thead>

<tbody>

<xsl:apply-templates />

</tbody>

</table>

<xsl:template match="Item">

<tr>

<!-- field output order -->

<xsl:apply-templates select="first_name" />

<xsl:apply-templates select="last_name" />

<xsl:apply-templates select="company" />

</tr>

<xsl:template match="first_name">

<td>

<xsl:value-of select="." disable-output-escaping="yes"/> </td>

<xsl:template match="last_name">

<td>

<xsl:template match="company">

<td>

</xsl:stylesheet>

To avoid problems with german Umlauten etc. output escaping has to be disabled because content of repeating section in XML is already encoded.

Resulting html in workflow variable contacts_html:

<table border="1" width="100%" style="border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#eee;border:1px solid;color:black;font-size:100%;font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;"><thead><tr><td>first name</td><td>name</td><td>company</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td>Manfred</td><td>Lauer</td><td>KOB</td></tr><tr><td>Emily</td><td>Billing</td><td>Nintex</td></tr></tbody></table>

In Send notification action choose Rich Text and insert by reference workflow variable contacts_html:

Resulting mail looks like:

The look of the table can be changed by using inline css styles.

Example workflow is attached. Comments are welcome.

Manfred Lauer

see also XSL Transformation of repeating section to html

Labels: (2)
37 Replies
alexjolynintex
Nintex Newbie

Re: Repeating section as html table in mail

Nice one!

That's reallly cool to share Manfred!

Not applicable

HI Manfred,

This is fantastic and opens up a world of solutions for me. I am struggling a bit with how to connect the repeating section to a workflow variable?

Would you kindly be able to show me the quick way please?

Thanks

Chet

mlauer
Nintex Newbie

Hi Chetan

connection is made in settings of Repeating Section control:

Kind regards

Manfred

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Sorry I wasn't very clear with my question - I don't see any workflow variable in the "Connected to" menu option only List Columns.

Its obvious I'm missing a step here just not sure what as I've a number of variables within my workflow

Thanks in advance

Chet

mlauer
Nintex Newbie

You have to define a workflow variable of type Multiple lines of text, then variable is shown in connect dialog:

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Manfred,

I tried that and even imported and published your workflow to the site, I created a new repeating section on the form and I can only connect to List Columns as there are not Workflow variables available on the drop-down

Thanks

Chet

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Manfred,

I even went as far as raising a support call but was advised this is a design issue even though I believe that I am doing this correctly, I was advised

"As far as your request goes, you would not be able to connect to workflow variables directly from the list form as the variables would not be defined until the workflow has been run, which occurs post form submission"

Is this the case, I'm not sure I understand correctly as the workflow has already run on all list items.

Thanks

Chet

0 Kudos
Not applicable

HI Manfred,

I managed to resolve the issue by connecting directly to the list column where the repeating table resides instead of a workflow variable. This is a brilliant solution

Best Regards

Chet

0 Kudos
mlauer
Nintex Newbie

Hi Chet

nice to hear that it works this way.

Kind regards

Manfred

0 Kudos