cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Regular expression validation for a multiline textbox

Jump to solution

Validation using a regular expression seems to only be available for a single line textbox control. Does anyone know a way to add a regular expression validation for a multiline textbox?

On my form the multiline textbox is used to enter library names: one on each line. I want to validate the library name on each line as they can't contain certain special characters (applicable to either the entire name or just the first character). In the workflow the information from this textbox is put into a collection and then through a for each loop to create the libraries using PowerShell.

I realize I can use a repeating section with a single textbox for each library name, but since it's just a simple set of names I thought it would look better (easier/quicker to fill out) to just use one textbox on the form - plus it simplifies the workflow (no UDA/XML queries to configure).

Labels: (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Regular expression validation for a multiline textbox

Jump to solution

you can use 'custom validation' option and validate text box content against regex pattern within simple javascript function.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Marian,

I have yet to learn more about using JavaScript for Nintex. How would I go about adding a regex pattern via JavaScript?

Thanks!

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

something like this might work for you

configure validation function and validation message on MLTB control

in form settings define your validation function

this one will cause validation not to pass through if MLTB control contains either of capital A or B or C

function ValidateMLTB(ctrl, args){
   args.IsValid = !String(args.Value).match(/[ABC]/);
}

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Thank you, that's really helpful.

I added the pattern [^A-Za-z0-9\s\.] to allow for these characters and none of the others (*, %, -, /, & and so on). This seems to work.

However there's one more requirement: a dot or space are allowed in the library name but not at the beginning of a name - i.e. the beginning of every line in a multiline textbox. I tried putting ^\s\. outside of the brackets, but can't make it work. Do you have the solution for me?

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

what about following pattern?

function ValidateMLTB(ctrl, args){
   args.IsValid = !String(args.Value).match(/(^[^A-Za-z0-9]+|[^A-Za-z0-9\s\.]+)/m);
}‍‍‍

‌ custom validation‌

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Brilliant!!!

Brilliant

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Brilliant indeed! Thank you!!

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I realized I need to allow for accented (diacritical) characters as well. These are not supported in the above regex.

I did some Googling and thought about adding À-ÿ but this then also allows for the characters \, _ and ^. When I use something like \u00C0-\u024F this problem is solved, but then an Enter (blank line) is allowed on the last line of a row. I also couldn't make it work with something like this: \p{L}\p{M}

Do you have any more suggestions for me?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

wouldn't pattern ^$ work to rule out empty lines?

0 Kudos