multi path process with all steps must be completed - each with its own workflow

• 12 February 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I'm a newbie with Nintex and need to tackle a self service dashboard with link to different workflows. The first workflow is checklist / pre-requisites form. Each item of the checklist is its own workflow - but for the self service process to move - all pre-requisite workflows must have been completed / addressed (and then the real workflow starts to kick in).

In order to request a new service provider you must complete:

1. Task 1 (an approval from your manager - if requestor is not a manager in AD)

2. Task 2 (provide documentation on the provider - such as contact information, website etc.)

3. Task 3 (provide financial information A)

4. Task 4 ( provide provider certifications B)

5 .Task 5 (provide payment information for verification)

When all 5 prerequisite tasks are completed - then it would start real application the process. The order of completion of those 5 pre-requisite tasks is irrelevant.

I see a button for each task in the main form starting each its own workflow and a boolean field for each prerequisite. When each pre-requesite is completed it will check the Boolean fields and start the main workflow when all are set to true.

How do you call an independent workflow? Do you create each prerequisite workflow in the repository of information for the data being required and just call it from the dashboard form with a link on a button to the new item for that list?

Thanks, drowning in my first cup of water

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello Eric,

I understand you have 5 separate workflows for a task that all - basically - set a value in your list item metadata that they were completed. If every workflow has completed - no matter in which order - you want to start a process that runs separately. Now the question is to have a valid start mechanism for the final workflow, right?

First I don't necessarily see why you need separate workflows as you could also have a parallel action have all your separate strings collecting their information. With this approach you could just put the final logic beneath the parallel action with its 5 strings and thus ensure it will run after all tasks have compelted, no matter in which order.

17-02-_2015_08-05-49.png

This approach of course depends on the mass of actions you have in your five strings so you can also go with separate workflows.

Assuming that each of the five workflows sets a boolean like "I ran for that item: yes" you could set up your final workflow to a conditional start, when an item is modified.

The condition would be that all five booleans indicate, that their corresponding workflows have run for the item.

In this approach you should set the visibility or editibility of the status fields to invisibe or non-editible.

Badge +1

Great idea. I just wanted to do baby steps, for example learn with a single workflow as a building block and then tie them together in a parallel flow as you indicate once I become more comfortable with Nintex forms (and workflows). At this time here are my current stuff I need to learn:

1. How do I get a new form not related to a sharepoint list? or is it a view using a nintex form on the list that has the initial request task?  For example I have a site that has the list of all requests,but when an user gets there he has the choice to create a new request, select the rqeusts he/she wants to check the status or show the list of all approved requests. If they selct new - I see that I can link to the new request form I created with Nintex forms. How about the other two options. do I make them on the initial form but keep them invisible until they select what they want to do?  I guess the question is how do I manage multiple forms in one sharepoint list?  Or is it just a simple workflow that is automatically shown when someone gets to the sharepoint list site?  I guess I want to run when I should start watching videos and learn how to crawl.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hey Eric,

I understand you want the users have different options when using your site:

1. creating requests with a form you created

2. review requests that were made before or

3. see a list of all requests made.

I don't really see why you should need multiple forms. You have already created a form that contains the data fields for a new request. You can use this form on a list as new form.

All requests your users create will be represented by a single "item" in your list, giving you also the option to review the items/requests later or just view all the items directly in the list.

So basically I would suggest you edit the new-form of your list and create some useful views for the list and you should be fine.

Badge +1

Enrico - realized that exact thing - the list default view - only shows the active requests submitted by the user - there are views for all approved items, all pending items, etc. I also created buttons with color formatting rules to show which pre-requisites are or not done.

1. How to make the button start one of the parallel workflows.  So if I understood you correctly - I can start the workflow activity when the form is open ~ how do I connect the button to any of the parallel workflows - is there an entry point for each button click? I'm missing the connection for the start of each parallel workflow.

2. How is the form refreshed when completing one of the Parallel workflows (pre-requisites).