Solved

Issues Opening a Nintex Workflow Task Form in Mobile Web View or App

• 2 March 2017
  • 9 replies

Hi,

We are putting together a POC using Nintex Workflows and Forms and are running into the existing bug where a link to a mobile Nintex Form opens the default SharePoint form instead of the Nintex form. I have tried the workaround suggested here, but with no luck. I can't get the "fn-Replace" function to work in the URL field of the link. Also, the link format seems to be different in Office 365 versus the examples in the workaround. 

Our goal is a simple approval Nintex Workflow. We initiate the workflow using a Nintex Form on mobile (using the Nintex App). Then the workflow generates and assigns an approval task with a Nintex Form. We want the task assignee to be able to click a link in their mobile email app to open the task's Nintex Form in a mobile-friendly way. We would be happy with either of the following:

1. The email's link opens the mobile Nintex Form in a browser (i.e., a working workaround for the bug)
  2. The email's link opens the Nintex Form in the Nintex App (not sure if deep-linking works for forms whose definitions are defined in tasks in a workflow)

We would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you very much.

icon

Best answer by nsouth 5 April 2017, 22:05

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Since you're already using the Nintex Mobile app, what about deep linking the form to open directly in the app  

Sorry for disappearing--I got pulled onto something else. I would still very much appreciate a solution. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey Noah,

Do any of these links help you?

http://help.nintex.com/en-US/O365/Default.htm#Subsystems/Default/DesignGuidance/AppLinks-trythis.htm 

Dude you're so deep, Nintex Mobile deep linking that is.. 

Tutorial: Nintex Mobile deep linking for auto-submitting scanned codes 

App link syntax 

Hi Courtney,

I've looked at deep linking, but I'm not sure how to make it work for this case. This isn't a form that is available in the Nintex App. The form I'm working with is generated from a Nintex workflow and is not defined outside of the workflow. Therefore, I don't think I can identify it just by an ID or Name because it also has to be tied to the workflow. If this were simply a form for a new item in our SharePoint List, then I'm sure deep linking would work fine. 

Edit: the forum won't let me post details about the URLs I see when clicking the link from my email, so I've attached a txt file. Basically, I'm initially redirected to the default SharePoint form and can only get to the Nintex version of the form by clicking the Cancel button. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hmm, it seems as though this is a recurring(ish) question, would this workaround suit?

https://community.nintex.com/message/44685-re-url-to-mobile-tasks?commentID=44685#comment-44685 

Or is it more important to link directly to the exact task than for it to open in the app?

‌, I saw a post you made about opening forms in mobile, is there any way to accomplish what Noah is asking for, that you're aware of?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good guidance Courtney, but unfortunately in this scenario we can't open a workflow task form from O365 from within the Nintex Mobile App as of today. 

For the issue with the task form url not opening with the nintex form, i'll see if I can look into that. 

We have a solution which appears to be working! I contacted Nintex support and, after some back and forth, they suggested that I make sure that the Default Content Type for the task list associated with the workflow is a "Nintex Task Outcome" content type. 

See the screenshot below. Before, the default content type for the task list had been "Workflow Task (SharePoint 2013)." Since changing it to the Nintex Task Outcome, I now get the Nintex Form when opening the link in a mobile browser. I don't know why there are two Nintex Task Outcome content types or why it only works when the one below is selected, but at this point I'm not complaining. 

I still find it interesting that the Nintex form was always opened when clicking the link from desktop, but that this setting needed to be changed for it to work on mobile. We'll definitely keep this in our knowledge base as we build out more solutions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks for the response! Great way to make it open the Browser. Looking forward to seeing this added to the Nintex Mobile App capabilities soon.

Badge +8

I can confirm Noah Southard‌'s answer – an update to the defaulting of the Content Type does the trick! I'm really hoping to see this functionality find it's way into the Nintex Mobile app.

Nintex "mobile" is a hard sell at the moment when it only really serves form origination.