Nintex Workflow Cloud Forms - Data Source Variable FAQ

• 26 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Topic

Frequently asked questions about Data Source Variables in Nintex Workflow Cloud Forms.

• What are Data Source Variables?
    • Data Source Variables are a new capability that is available within Nintex Workflow Cloud Forms that enables designers to source data from external systems into their forms design and use that data across various different controls and rules. Like the Data Lookup control, Data Source Variables leverage existing data sources within Nintex Workflow Cloud to connect to external systems but aim to provide more flexibility with the data than the drop-down styling of the Data Lookup control.

• Can anyone create a Data Source Variable?
    • Designers that have been given permissions to a data source within Nintex Workflow Cloud can create new Data Source Variables.

• Can Data Source Variables be used with any control type in Nintex Workflow Cloud?
    • Currently Data Source Variable values can be used with Label controls and can be set as the value of Text – Short, Text – Long, Email, Currency, Number, or Geolocation control via rules. Support for additional controls such as Choice – Single and Choice – Multiple will be available in the future.

• Can any data source be used to create a Data Source Variable?
    • Currently Data Source Variables only support SharePoint Online and Azure Active Directory data sources, however additional data sources will be made available in subsequent releases.

• Can a custom Xtensions based data source with Data Source Variables?
    • Not yet, but this functionality should be available soon.

• Can I use my Data Source Variables within my workflow?
    • While any values that are used in a control will be passed to the workflow as a start event variable, the Data Source Variable itself is only available within Forms at this time. If a workflow designer would like to access the same information, they can use a ‘Query’ action as this will return the same object/data as the Data Source Variable.

Additional Information

Related Links

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@butlerj You just made my day when I found out this has been released! 😁

Been waiting for this release for a while. I'll give it a test out and provide some feedback.

From reading above, will also be very keen to see the next release with support for choice controls and when we can support on-prem MS SQL data connector.

Eventually the holy grail of an NWC form being able to pull data from MS SQL server using a store procedure with parameters would be lovely! 

(Just like we've had with Nintex Forms for Sharepoint for a very long time)

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@Gavin-Adams yeah we're really excited to finally have it out the door, but still a lot to come!

@_Ruben just wanted to make sure you have visibility on the above as well regarding SQL