Solved

Help : Converting/Migrating K2 .NET 2003 Processes to K2 Blackpearl 4.7

• 21 March 2017
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

I know we are in 2017 :) but I'm recently working for an organization that likes things old school and so they still use K2 .NET 2003.
Now they finally want to upgrade from K2 .NET 2003 to K2 Blackpearl. And now they want to go all the way...to Blackpearl 4.7.

I know its a stretch but is there any tool or way to migrate/convert (totally or partially) the K2 .NET 2003 processes into K2 Blackpearl processes?

And how about migrating all process instances that exist in the K2 .NET 2003 database so that they can go into the K2 Blackpearl database? For historic purposes of course.

Thanks in advance...

icon

Best answer by Timkn 21 March 2017, 13:25

View original

1 reply

Badge +10

Ahhhh, K2.net 2003... brings back fond memories.

A while back K2 did work on a tool to assist customers with migration from K2.net 2003 to a much earlier version of blackpearl.  However, apparently it caused more problems than it solved and I was told the recommendation from K2 was to rebuild processes manually which is what we did.  If the business process hasn't changed, that's typically not all that difficult although you will also need to create SmartObjects to access the line of business data since K2.net 2003 didn't have the SmartObject technology.  

In 2017 things may be a bit more difficult if the customer used InfoPath for the forms, since you'll most likely need to rebuild them using Smartforms.  Personally I find the form creation for moderate to complex forms takes longer than process creation so you'll want to plan for that.

As for bringing across the K2.net process reporting database I don't know if that's possible and maybe someone else can pitch in.  Otherwise I would raise a support ticket to ask the question.

Hope this helps.

Tim