Barcode Scanner and Not the Phone App

• 15 March 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Is there anyway to use the actual Barcode scanner to scan barcodes and create new request on Smartforms

how do i go ahead with that? 

6 replies

Badge +15

Hi,

In SmartForms, you can add a control called the 'Barcode'. To use the barcode control, you will need to open the form in the K2 Mobile App. When you click on that control in the K2 Mobile App, it should launch your phone's Barcode Scanner app for Android, or it will open up the camera app for iOS.

For more information, please check out the official documentation on the Barcode Scanning Control.

Badge +9

actual barcode scanner as in this? https://www.amazon.com/Esky-Automatic-Handheld-Barcode-Adjustable/dp/B005Q5OHYE

Badge +2

@Boring Nerd
is there any way we don't use K2 mobile app as shared in title.
but the actual barcode scanner

@ Ziqing
yes true, we need to use something similar to that

Badge +9

Wow ok.. I wasn't really expecting that confirmation, but in any case, this won't be possible out of the box.

Depending on how you want to use it with smartforms... If you want to use that to input values into form fields, then you'll probably need a custom control to accomplish that. If you want to use that to open a form, then I suppose a custom app that reads the scanner input and generates the URL and/or parameters. It also boils down to the barcode scanner, whether it has an API that you can use to integrate with.  

Probably not the answer you really want to see. 

Badge +15

I don't think you need a custom control to do that. If it is simply to scan the barcode, and then insert the values into a text box in your SmartForm, then you should not need anything extra to get it to work.

I used to play with a barcode scanner for a bit, and it functions exactly like any other input device such as your keyboard or mouse. Just select your text box, then use the barcode scanner to scan. The value should appear in the text box automatically. The only thing you need to get it to work is likely a driver on your computer. Certain barcode scanner should allow you to add a new line, or a TAB after each scan, so if you can configure that, after scanning a barcode, you can get the cursor to move over to the next input control on your form.

Badge +1

is there anyway to trick the laptop to use its webcam? 

a scanner will work with pc for sure?