Skip to main content

Hi All,

We are beginning the process of defining the life cycle of a business analyst using the K2 Designer for Visio and Sharepoint. We know we don't want them to deploy directly to production and we would like to have some controls over what they deploy.

We are not sure if there are others who have previously run into this scenario. Is there a prototypical setup for business analyst?

Mike Trouard

Hi Mike,

The first thing you can do is set up security permissions in workspace for users who are allowed to deploy to production thereby preventing business analysts to deploy just anything to production. However if I understand you correctly, you do want them to deploy something to production, but you want more granularity over what they can deploy?

Unfortunately such granularity does not exist at the moment, but to be honest my opinion is that depending on the size of your organization and processes / affected users I would suggest that the business analysts still only deploy to a development or test/staging server where you can verify and TEST the changes made before it is deployed to a production environment through a structured change management process.

I guess there could be variations to this depending on the company environment, the type of process, etc, and especially with pure sharepoint processes I can see the point of direct deployment to prod.

Regards,

Thanks Gerhard,

We have three environments setup and we will not allow any business analyst to deploy to production. We are on the same page about permissions in the development environment. The MIS team will QA any workflows before they get into test and production.

I was looking for more of standards for these business users. I know each organization is different but I wanted to know if anyone had devised a training session for business users using Visio, set naming standards, etc.

Mike Trouard

Yep ok I understand what you mean. As far I know there is a K2 analist training course under development at the moment, (not sure when it'll be "live"/available) so I'm sure you'll be able to send them on proper analist training soon. Don't know about any other "official" documentation along those lines though.