cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christinagatele
Nintex Newbie

Workflow Could Not Update Item: Access Denied

Jump to solution

Hi, I recently added permission groups to a workflow, and ever since, users have been receiving the following error message:

The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a       different type of information : Access Denied

All I understand at this point is that it is a permissions error, and it must be something to do with the level of permissions that the initiator has because this error doesn't occur for me whenever I initiate an item.  (I included myself in all of the 'Set item permission' actions.)

The 'MCR Workflow Error' attachment shows a snippet of the workflow where the error occurs...

Here is some more information on the permissions that I have set-up:

• I set-up a number of SharePoint Groups in the TeamSite, each with Member level access (i.e. can do all but delete items).  (See attachment 'SharePoint Permissions'.)
  • I have added these SharePoint Groups to 'Set item permission' actions to the workflow where appropriate.  (At the beginning of the workflow and then at the start of each State Machine branch.)
  • The 'Set item permission' actions are configured to allow the user Full Control.  (See 'Nintex Workflow Action'.)

I hope someone can help to resolve this issue 

Thank you,

Christina.

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Workflow Could Not Update Item: Access Denied

Jump to solution

Can you try adding commit pending changes?  it could be the order in which these are applied.

Also instead of having multiple set field value actions have you tried instead using one update item action?

0 Kudos
praios81
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Christina,

as long as your initiator is a member of the group Asset Maintenance Function - Offshore the update should be possible.

If you try to update the item manually using the credentials of the workflow's initiator in your scenario, does the update perform as expected? Otherwise you could try to add a test user to the group mentioned and try the update with that user instead.

Kind regards

Enrico

0 Kudos
christinagatele
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Cassy,

I've never used the Commit Pending Changes action before...  Where would be a good place to put this?

I used to use the multiple update item action but I'd forget what was in there so found it easier to separate them all.  Can this cause problems?

Thank you

0 Kudos
christinagatele
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Enrico,

In this scenario the initiator is a member of the group, and the error is still occurring.  In another scenario, I had someone initiate a form who wasn't in that particular group and they couldn't get passed the previous branch.

I've never had this issue before with previous workflows so I'm a little confused why it's happening.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Hi

It's all about this concept:

This is taken from Caroline Jung‌'s InspireX 2017 presentation on permissions in Nintex (it's an excellent read if you get a chance the whole presentation can be found here:  https://vimeo.com/207548019 and https://www.nintex.com/-/media/files/resources/events/inspirex-2017/managing-permissions-when-a-work...)

So I would say add a commit pending changes after a set field and before a set item permissions.  See if that helps any?

I wouldn't say your approach will cause problems but update item would slimline it - it's whatever you are most comfortable with at the end of the day.

praios81
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hmm, as long as the user was in the correct group the error must have been caused by something else.

In this case I'd go with ‌s advice and would try to reduce the item update operations by adding all fields to update in a single item update action and see if the behaviour changes.

Kind regards

Enrico

seid
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Just bear in mind that Set Item Permission Action overwrites existing permissions and you need Contribute permission in order to run workflows.

0 Kudos
christinagatele
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks, Cassy.  I'll give this a try and come back to you...

And thank you for the additional links

christinagatele
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help 

0 Kudos