Question

Copying a folder in sharepoint online

• 22 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Am I overlooking something on making copies of folders? Is this possible? I used the closest action I knew of that may work and received this error:

If not possible with OOB actions, can someone please advise on how to configure a call a web service action to make this happen?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @brandiwoodson,

You should create the folder first and then copy the files into the folder.
I don't think there is an action that does it in one go.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Might be a limitation of the API that Nintex is using with the Copy or Move File action.

Comparing with Power Automate actions. They have different actions for Copy File v’s Copy Folder

SharePoint - Power Automate | Microsoft Learn

Try raising a support ticket on this one to check the limitations of the action.

It might be that you will need to raise a Nintex idea to request a new action that supports it.

Look for API for sharepoint web request, try the CreateCopyJobs API.

Though this is async so you need to query a status to see if it completed.

Microsoft 365 Copy and Move API (CreateCopyJobs) | Microsoft Learn

The CreateCopyJobs API, copy or move SharePoint files or folders (velingeorgiev.com)

You’ll need to do some work on building all the requests together to make it work in Nintex.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Hi @brandiwoodson,

You should create the folder first and then copy the files into the folder.
I don't think there is an action that does it in one go.

Thanks. We were hoping to copy one folder and all its contents (subfolders, files etc) like power automate allows users to do. 

We have a need to do this on command. Users want a workflow to create a library and then copy folders from a primary folder which may change throughout the uear for the template.