Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Validation - Workflow or Form

Jump to solution

Hi

To give you a bit of background about what I am trying to achieve -

When the form is submitted by the Save & Submit button  >  The Form is saved and submitted and the Value 1 is returned >  In turn this starts a Workflow.

However, as our form has a number of mandatory fields on the form, it is not quite working.

When the form is submitted with save & submit > if the fields are not filled in correctly > the form reappears but blank

Therefore if the user is submits the form but if all the fields are not correctly filled in the form is not reappearing with the information that they had filled in previously.  It is also not showing them the fields that they had missed out

Is there a way of achieving the following

Save & Submit > Check the form for mandatory fields > Return the form (with data completed by user) if not completed correctly > Resubmit form on completion > Start workflow

Save & Submit > Check the form for mandatory fields > Submit form is correct > Start Workflow

It sounds like this could be achieved via the workflow?

Please note that the "save.jpg" is what I would ideally like to achieve in the current form but uses the "Save" button,  perhaps this would be better than "Save & Submit"?

Thanks

Karen

Labels: (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
pfudala
Nintex Newbie

Re: Validation - Workflow or Form

Jump to solution

Hi Karen,

There's something strange in your case.

Without any kind of configuration, submitting the form via the default button checks validation rules and must stop the process to expose to the user what's wrong in the form.

While mandatory fields are not filled, item won't be created.

So, when an item is created, you can be sure that it's perfectly filled and you don't need to use a conditional start on your workflow anymore.

The question is : how your form could have a different behavior?

0 Kudos
kkittinger
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Karen,

Question would be do you have validation and that this field is a mandatory field on your form itself.  If your using the default buttons there is a option on them Cause Validation that when set to yes will run any validation that is on the form when it is clicked.  With this it will show the user what is wrong and prompt them to go fix it and will never create the file to your Library or List. So my suggest would be:     1) Check Button to see if Cause Validation is being used

2) Check if fields on the form that are mandatory are set to be that

3) Check if there is any validation on the form either by on the fields themselves or via Rules

Hope this helps you out.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Pierre & Kevin

Thank you both for coming back to me.

Both of you have valid points to consider.

I am now checking through the form and note the following -

1.  The required fields are all set up in the sharepoint list behind the form

2.  I have started going through each part of the form and noted some have custom validation and some don't.  This maybe the issue, I will need to check these - perhaps that is a reason for my form to have different behaviour.

3.  I will look for the option "Cause Validation".

Hopefully this should help.

Karen

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Good luck Karen Lillystone​! Let us know if one of the suggestions above is the correct answer.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Frank Field​ will be working on this and will let everyone know!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi

Just to you let you know that I am still working on this -

1.      I have been through each form field and noted that each of the required fields are required fields in the sharepoint list and not on the nintex form.

2.     That fields that I have been working through do not include custom validation.

3.     Some rules have been set up on these fields - for example

isNullOrEmpty({Self}) && FieldName=="No" - This has tested successfully.

I am not sure about " Check Button to see if Cause Validation is being used" - Is this the same as custom validation?  Please can you assist?  Much appreciated.

But now I want to check things once more  I have an issue with publishing but will ask separately!

Karen

0 Kudos
pfudala
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Karen,

"Causes Validation" is a default option of the submit button.

sample 1.png

But I think a publishing issue could be more logical.

Dis you ever try to export your form (for backup) and reset it? On the default form, do you have the same behavior?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Pierre

Thank you so much.  I was looking on the wrong buttons!

I have now found the cause validation button and it is set to "Yes"

My publishing issue has been raised separately.  I think that this could be a potential issue.  Also as the form has changed I would like to see how the changes affect the submission once again.

Thanks

Karen

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi

Just to let everyone know that when I republished the form and retried it I noted that the validation is now working correctly

When I clicked on submit the form did not submit but took me to the box that I had not filled in below which was a required field -

It seems that republishing the form with the removed error that I had earlier - see my previous issue and the publishing issue (which I am not sure how it effect it).  I have also changed the form and removed a validation rule which was undefined.

Form Showing Blank - Errors in Debug

Issue with Publishing

Thanks everyone for their help with this!

Karen

0 Kudos