cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using the Read Document and Update Document Actions

In this document, learn how to:

• Create a document with content controls
  • Read and update the content controls using Nintex Workflow 2010.

Content controls are individual controls that you can add and customize for use in templates, forms, and documents. For example, many online forms are designed with a drop-down list control that provides a restricted set of choices for the user of the form. It is now possible to read or update content controls used within a document by using Nintex Workflow 2010. The reading and updating of content controls are done through the Word Automation Services and is only possible for Word files saved in the "docx" file format.

Labels: (2)
9 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Using the Read Document and Update Document Actions

What version of Nintex 2010 Workflow does this Update Word Document functionality come in? We are using

Nintex Workflow 2010

Version: 2.3.13.0

And, I do not see that option.

aaron_labiosa
Nintex Newbie

I just took a look and the action ('Update document') should be present in your build of Nintex Workflow. I would ensure that the action is marked as allowed in Central Administration \ Nintex Workflow Management \ Manage Allowed Actions.

0 Kudos
aaron_labiosa
Nintex Newbie

You would need to have Enterprise licensing. Here is a definitive list of actions and what version of Nintex Workflow has them: Workflow Actions Standard vs Enterprise

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi,

Would It be possible to use this functionality with a Picture Content Control? The objective would be to dynamically set the source of the control.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey Daniel, I've posted your question as a new discussion here https://community.nintex.com/message/5086#5086 - that way more of the community should see it

Cheers 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Emily Billing,

Thank you for the post.

Is it possible to have tabular data populated this way?

I can see that this is really helpful for individual values in Content Controls. What if we want to get some list rows populated in a table.

This could be a popular request, but am not able to find a way to achieve it using Nintex.

Thanks,

-Hiren

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks for this article.

One of our requirements is to be able to read from a Rich-text content control.

The Read Document action allows us to do so - but in the process the formatting is lost.

Is there a way to read the underlying HTML from the rich-text word content control?

A line in this post suggest, it is not possible, but I wanted to check with the community.

• If a 'content control' specified is of rich text type, it will not include formatting or pictures that are within the 'content control'.

Thanks,

-Hiren

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey Hiren, apologies for missing your earlier question. I'd recommend asking this in the Learn More​ space as a question. More of the community will see it as a question, rather than posted as a comment on a document!

Thanks

Em

0 Kudos
andy_taslim
Nintex Newbie

Hi Hiren, i am interested to know. Have you come across a way to do the table in the document?

0 Kudos