cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

The workflow could not update the item

Good Morning,

When I try to update a field in a list with "Update action", it throws me an unknown error:

"The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information"

It only happens with this list, however I can't delete it because there are many alerts.

NWF 2013 (3.0.5.0).

Any help?

Thanks

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: The workflow could not update the item

could you share what data type the field you are trying to set has? also if it is only one field you are trying to update, do you get the same error using the "Set field value" action?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi, It happens in single line of text and yes/no field. Yes, only one field I tried to update. I get the same error using the "Set field value" action

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

although the error says "...require a different type of information" can you confirm that the user that you run the workflow as has edit permissions on the list/item?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Yes, the user is Site Collection Administrator.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi Walter,

What value are you using to update the "Yes / No" field value? I think it's '1' or '0' instead of 'Yes' or 'No'.

Are you sure that it errors on a Single Line of Text? That sounds pretty weird.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Seems strange. Like Lean said, this is rather odd for a single line of text field. Other than permissions and the format of the value to put into a field (e.g. people picker) there is no obvious reason why this would fail.

Have you reviewed the SP log files? (if you have access to them) There might be more detail regarding the error there.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Hi, No, the value I'm using is "No". When I select the "update field action" in a boolean field, the only option is "Yes" or "No". However, this error ocurred with any type of field in this list.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

A few more things to try before I'd recommend logging this with the Nintex support team:

1. Confirm that there is no other action or workflow running at the same time trying to update the item. Make sure that you put a commit pending changes after the "Set field value" or "update item" action. Also ensure that there is a "Commit pending changes" action after every action that updates an item (set permissions, update item, set field value, etc.)
  2. Create a SharePoint Designer Workflow that does the same thing and see if that results in the same error. If it does, it seems to be a SharePoint issue. As suggested earlier, I'd have a look at the SP log files in that case to gather more detailed information.

Let me know how you go.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Patrick (and Walter)

I am experiencing the same issue and have set everything as instructed, Set Item Permission to Full Control (for Initiator and Preparer), Update Item, Commit Pending Changes, but am still getting this error. However, if I (the Site collection Admin) start the workflow, the workflow does NOT error. So it is definitely the issue of not having the correct permission for the workflow to update the field in the InfoPath form.

error.jpg

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply