cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

State-Machine workflow remaining In-Progress after conclusion

Hello, we have a fairly (but not overly) complex workflow that employs a state-machine. At the conclusion of the third state, we immediately execute a "Stop Workflow" action. We have noticed that from time to time the workflow remains in an InProgress (active) state despite arriving at this Stop Workflow action. This issue is inconsistent and I cannot identify a failure pattern.

I have attached the workflow and would greatly appreciate any feedback on the issue. We concede that there may be opportunities to generally improve the performance of this workflow and welcome those comments as well, but I am specifically curious about the end state mentioned above.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: State-Machine workflow remaining In-Progress after conclusion

try to replace end workflow action with end state machine action.

there are mentioned several cases throughout the forum when end workflow action gives unpredictable results/behaviour if used within state machine.

note, however, it doesn't leave state machine immediately after end state machine action but just at 'next turn'.

as well, all the actions after state machine are still executed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Thanks for your reply Marian. We did actually try this, but our issue is that (as you said) the end state doesn't actually stop activity - it just moves to the next turn, which is not desired in this case. As it stands, we have an END STATE action and then immediately follow with an END WORKFLOW action.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

I believe you execute END WORKFLOW action once some condition(s) are met, ie. you have to decide somehow whether to end workflow or let it continue.

so you can use set condition action with the that condition(s) and in one branch let the state machine END and in the other branch let execute all the actions that should execute if condition(s) to end workflow are not met.

this is cleaner and better way how to design workflows.

see eg. here Using State Machine Workflows

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

OK Marian, I'll have to review it and see if we can re-engineer it that way. I understand your point we just need to see if it can be modified without significant impact.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

0 Kudos