cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Start a Workflow from a Nintex Form

Jump to solution

Hi,

is there any way to directly start a workflow from a form? I would like to use a Nintex-Form to populate a sharepoint-list. When the user clicks on a button of the form a nintex Workflow should be started - any hints on how to accomplish this?

Tags (1)
19 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Start a Workflow from a Nintex Form

Jump to solution

There are two possibilities :

• the easiest one is to use a button control which action is Save and Submit. In the Advanced settings of the button, you can connect it to a number column (which default value is 0) and set its value to 1. Then you can build a workflow that will be conditionnaly executed at the update of the item if the number column is equal to 1. In this workflow, you can then execute another workflow or directly populate the SharePoint list. This possibility is explained by Vadim Tabakman in this article : Nintex Forms - Save or Submit - Vadim Tabakman . The inconvenient of this method is that your form has to be saved and closed to start the workflow.
  • the second one is more complicated but the workflow will be executed as soon as the user clicks on the button in the form. This method consists in adding a button control which action is JavaScript. This button will execute a custom javascript function that will start a workflow using a web request. The web request will call the Nintex workflow web service which is described in this article : Start a Workflow using a Web Service

Hope it helps

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Caroline,

thx for your reply. I came to the same conclusion as your first solution - seemed to be the easiest way to achieve what I wanted.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

So to have the form just send an email to notify someone that the SharePoint list has a new entry, everything above has to be done?  Sounds like a work-around to the most basic of form functions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

If you'd like a workflow to be executed each time an item is created then you can configure this directly in the workflow settings - no need to configure anything in the form. The first method that I explained above has to be done if you'd like a workflow to be executed when the user clicks on a specific button on the form: for example, if you have a Nintex Forms with two buttons "Save as draft" and "Send" and you only want that your workflow starts when the button "Send" is clicked.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

The first solution is such a beautiful and easy way to start a workflow with a click on a button within NINTEX forms. Unfortunately this does not work with NINTEX on O365 (as there is no "conditional" start option):

Any suggestion how to solve this issue on O365?!

Cheers

mai-kel

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

At the beginning of the workflow, you can add a condition to check if your property has the correct value. If it has, you can add all your actions and if it's no case, just don't add any action so that there will be no action to execute. So the workflow will always start but no action will be executed and it will directly stop.

Tell me if it's not clear

Note that now you can also use the Save and continue button which is very nice for this kind of use case

Have a nice day,

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Ah, ok, that is also quite easy.  Thanks a lot. I just tried it, but unfortunately I need to be in edit mode while pressing the dedicated button (value doesn't change from 0 to 1). Isn't this also possible while I'm in view mode?

Cheers

mai-kel

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Have you tried to change the configuration in the Advanced section of the button settings: "Visible when in view mode" to "Yes" and "Enable when in view mode" to "Yes"?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Both settings were already set to "yes".

0 Kudos