cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Scheduled Workflows run multiple time internally

Dear Nintex,

we have issues with our scheduled workflows on our Productive environment. Workflows are delayed and when they run it took a lot of time to complete. Finally the workflows will complete there actions but a lot of actions are performed multiple times. (Up to 4 times, while we expect to have it running 1 time).

On our test environment these workflows only performs the configured actions once. Difference between our Test and Productive environment is the size of the farm.

On Productive we have 2 WFE and 2 App servers. On Test we have 1 WFE and 1 App server.

I already removed the Microsoft Sharepoint Foundation Workflow Timer service on both app servers (1 is hosting Central Admin and 1 is dedicated Search), still the SharePoint foundation Web Application service is running on these servers.
Now the SharePoint Foundation Workflow Timer Service (and the SharePoint Foundation Web Application servcice) is only running on the WFE servers.

The Nintex workflow service is configure to run on the Application server hosting the Central Admin, which is not one of the WFE so no SharePoint Foundation Workflow timer service is running there.

What is the best configuration for the timer services regarding nintex Workflows. I have a strange feeling that both WFE are picking up the scheduled workflow. How can we check that?

Any advice is much appreciated,

thanks in advance.

Labels: (1)
20 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: Scheduled Workflows run multiple time internally

Hi Jelle,

Are there maybe multiple Nintex Workflow Scheduler jobs active?
check this page:https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1254

Kind Regards,

Gert

Highlighted
Not applicable

Dear Gert,

I have checked the suggeted article, and as far as I can see there is one Nintex Workflow Scheduler active in our Job Configuration. It is scheduled to run every 5 minutes (Default setting).

The SharePoint own Workflow timer jobs are scheduled to run every 2 minutes and they run over all the web application servers in the farm.

In the Central Admin I see that the Nintex workflow scheduler is running on the Central Admin web Application. Is it better to configure (bind) the Nintex Workflow Scheduler to one of the Web Front End servers?

Please advice what is the best setup for Nintex Workflow Scheduler to run scheduled workflows properly.

Thanks in advance,

Jelle Dijkstra

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi Jelle,

Too bad it wasn't the sollution.

I suggest you should contact the Nintex helpdesk, i can't help you further.

Success,

Gert

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

do you start another workflow(s) from scheduled one?

if so I would say these child workflows appear to run multiple times, right?

what you mean with 'workflows are delayed'?

do you have a delay/pause action within them or do they start later then scheduled/expected on its own?

Highlighted
Not applicable

No other workflows are started.

In other areas (Sitecollections) workflows are delayed (which do have an pause action) ,

e,g, A workflow (list workflow, started manually) which has a pause action of 2 minutes is delayed for more than half an hour.

It looks like items are queued or timer service is not running well.

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Hi Jelle Dijkstra,

How soon does your timer service and workflow management services run? The pause is defined by this service. You can check ULS logs for the details and see this reference for NWorkflows Workflows not continuing - Timer Service and Delays

Tracking and Resolving Stuck Workflow Timer Jobs

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi Jelle.

Can you provide some screenshots regarding the following if possible?

• Site workflow schedule settings
  • site workflow history page (where workflow runs multiple times)
  • the problem Site workflow itself (or just on a high level describe what it does

Does this happen to all site workflows in your Production environment?

Thomas

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

reg. delays:

- do you have enabled safe looping? resp. are there any workflows that were published with safe looping disabled?

they could acquire timer service for them self and causing delays for the others.

- other reason might be that your servers are really overloaded by the amount of workload they have to process.

reg. multiple runs:

hard to say so far, but it may be related to delays. I would first try to resolve delays.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Kapil Joshi,

the Nintex Workflow timer job runs every 5 minutes.

The Sharepoint workflow job runs every 2 minutes.

Application Server Timer Job runs every mintute.

regards,

Jelle