We are currently implementing Nintex workflow for Project Server 2010. We tried to create a workflow using the sample proposal workflow, and attached the workflow to an Enterprise Project Type (EPT). When we first tried the workflow at the development site (local domain) the workflow was running just fine. However, when we tried to duplicate the workflow to the production site (https://epmis.indosat.com) the workflow could not even start. We have checked for possible slips such as the permissions, PDP, etc. and found no problem as we have replicated the configuration in the development site correctly.
We have checked the ULS log and the error message was a NullPointerException when executing the workflow even before setting the initial project stage. I have attached the ULS log for the cases in which we used Nintex and the other one without Nintex.
What would be the solution to this problem?
Thank you very much.
Just a quick question on the deployment to the production environment, how did you duplicate the workflow? Did you export the workflow from dev then import to prod? Or start from scratch creating it?
I created the workflow from scratch. Just to let you know that the workflow itself is actually modified from the sample proposal workflow provided by nintex. I have tried creating another workflow completely different for dev purposes, and it threw the same error.
Currently I am still facing this problem, kindly please help me solve this issue.
I am still positive that the problem lies within this stack trace:
Nintex.Workflow.NWException: Error getting context data for 'ContextItemDisplayName'. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Nintex.Workflow.ProjectServer.ProjectServerWorkflowType.GetContextItemDisplayName(NWWorkflowContext ctx)
at Nintex.Workflow.NWWorkflowContext.GetContextData(ContextDataOptions options, Boolean forceRefresh, Boolean retrieveForLogging)
It seems that Nintex fails to get the published project context item, so it can't get the properties such as display name etc. I think the correct way to resolve this is to wait until the project is successfully published/created so that Nintex can use it as its context item.
How do I resolve this issue?
I am now curious whether it is actually a bigger problem because from the log several lines are saying:
Failed to find the XML file at location '14\Template\Features\NintexWorkflowEnterpriseWeb\feature.xml'
Feature definition missing for Feature 'NintexWorkflowEnterpriseWeb'
Failed to find the XML file at location '14\Template\Features\NintexWorkflowEnterpriseWebParts\feature.xml'
Feature definition missing for Feature 'NintexWorkflowEnterpriseWebParts'
over and over again.
I have solved the problem.
It turned out that I had set the wrong service account that did not have the correct settings/permission. After setting it up correctly, the workflow runs just fine.
Very good! Permissions is a common problem for connections to other systems. And sometimes you just need a sounding board to come up with the correct solution on your own. Well done, and thank you for documenting your resolution to the issue.