cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex77
Nintex Newbie

Insert Reference date field always one day off

I have a calculated date field in my SharePoint list. I want to display that calculated date on a Nintex Form. To do so, I create a Rich Text control, and click "Insert Reference". Then, under Item Properties, I select the calculated date field that I want to show.

Here is the issue: If my calculated date shows as 2/5/2020 on the SharePoint list, it shows as 2/4/2020 on the Nintex form. In all my calculated dates that I do this, all of the days show as one day earlier.

I really want to use this "Insert Reference" approach to display due dates rather than creating a calculation on the form, since I need the users to be able to see the calculation both in the Nintex Form and on the SharePoint list.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Insert Reference date field always one day off

@alex77 ....you can do other way around. Do your calculation on the form and connect that calc control to single line text in a SharePoint list.

0 Kudos
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Hi,

This is interesting.
Nintex forms should follow the regional settings of the farm.
does the user have different Regional settings to the farm?
I would like to try replicate this issue. What build of Nintex forms are you using and what does the calculation look like in the date column?
0 Kudos
alex77
Nintex Newbie

Thanks so much!

The Nintex Form I'm using is Responsive Designer, the version is Nintex Forms 2016 (Version: 4.4.0.0).

The SharePoint list is a SharePoint 2016 (on-premises) list.

Question #1 that you asked: "what does the calculation look like in the date column?" - I've added a screenshot for that. In the SharePoint list, there is an Activity Cleanup Due (date only field) and a calculated field of ActivityDueMinus1 - 1 calendar day before the Activity Cleanup Due. So, in the example in the screenshot, the Activity Cleanup Due is 1/15/2020, the SharePoint result shows correctly as 1/14/2019 in the SharePoint list (you can't see that), but on the Nintex Form (as in the screenshot) it shows the Cleanup Due Minus 1 shows as 1/13/2019 (should be 1/14/2019) - the form subtracted a day.

Question #2 that you asked: I'm not sure how to respond to your note: "does the user have different Regional settings to the farm?" Can you help me with this? I'm not where I can find the Nintex regional/time settings, or my SharePoint regional/time settings to compare them or adjust if needed (I'm not a system admin - my department is one of many that use SharePoint and Nintex).

I did see where I can check a box in the form Settings to "Use SharePoint Server Time Zone" but that's in the Mobile Settings section - I tried that just in case, and it didn't fix the issue.

Thanks, again, for any direction you can provide!

0 Kudos
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Question 1.
You said "I have a calculated date field in my SharePoint list" I wanted to know how the field/column was configured.

Question 2. A user can configure their own regional settings independednt of where the server is located.
At the top right of the screen in SharePoint is the user who is logged in. Clicking on their name and go to "My Settings" and then "My Language And Region". If this is set different to the server time it may explain the difference.
0 Kudos
alex77
Nintex Newbie

Thanks @SimonMuntz  - I appreciate the help. In response...

Question 1: it was a date field in SharePoint, not date/time - hopefully that answers that question. Then, in Nintex Form, I use a Rich Tech field and "Insert Reference" to display the date.

Question 2: a couple concerns about this approach:

- a) each user would need to set their regional settings in SharePoint in each of their browsers - it seems like this should be a universal setting

- b) when I am in SharePoint, I see my name in the upper right corner, but I don't have a "My Settings" option when I click on it. I do have an About Me option and Sign Out option, but nowhere where I can set regional settings.

0 Kudos
alex77
Nintex Newbie

I wanted to test if it's off by a day or off by hours (and showing as a day) and it looks like the calcs are off by hours (but shows as a day since the hours put it into the previous day when the time is 12:00 - which it usually is - we generally use date not date/time).

This was the test I ran below and image attached. Where do I need to update this setting in Nintex to make the time on the form match the time that is correctly showing in SharePoint? Thanks! 

1. Created a SharePoint column/field called NOWCalc at 1:24pm Pacific today.  Calculated column returning a date/time value. Calculation: =NOW(). Field correctly returned 1/8/2020, 1:24pm (this is Pacific time and is correct).
  2. Created a Nintex Form Rich Text control that used Insert Reference to insert the NOWCalc SharePoint field described in Step #1. That control incorrectly returns 1/8/2020, 5:24pm, which is 8 hours in the past (or represents a different time zone).
0 Kudos
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Sorry, In 2016 goto the users name and goto About Me.
Then click on the "Edit your profile" link
Click on the elipse and go to Language and Region
See if a Time zone is set.

I have tested this functionality based on the steps provided and the date/time was the same on both the form and SharePoint. This leads me to beleive that the issue is contained to your environment and is caused by a difference in time zones. Whether that be from server time to SharePoint region or User Region etc.

I am using the latest build of Nintex forms.  Maybe upgrade to see if that fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
alex77
Nintex Newbie

@SimonMuntz  - Thanks for your help. This isn't addressing the issue unfortunately yet.

Maybe what I need to do is a calculated field on the Nintex form that looks at my SharePoint calculated date field and subtracts a day.

I tried this once but haven't gotten it to work yet. For example, in my test list, I have a calculated field in SharePoint called SAMPLECALCDATE that is currently returning a date/time of 4/15/2020 12:00 AM 

Perhaps to address this workaround I could create a calculated control on the Nintex Form that adds a day - e.g. SAMPLECALCDATE + 1 day. This should hopefully counteract the 1 day reversal we are getting on the Nintex Form. I don't know how to add 1 day to a calculated date on a Nintex Form, do you?

0 Kudos
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Hi,

You can use what ever work around works for you but I think finding the root cause would be a better solution. The root cause is an issue with time zones in the environment.
You can contact support@nintex.com to have an engineer attend a live meeting to look over the issue.

The workaround you propose is not ideal as minusing a day will still give you an incorrect calculation but in the opposite direction because as you said yourself the difference is not a whole day but only 8 hours.
0 Kudos