cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to continue workflow after an error occurs

Jump to solution

I was approached with an issue by a coworker this morning regarding the workflow being "stopped" due to an error. I went and looked at the workflow history and was able to pinpoint where the error occurred and what caused it. Specifically, a document was checked out and an order number was supposed to be added as required by the "set field" function. However, no order number was entered and the document was checked back in. At this point the workflow stopped. My question in regards to this and any errors would be...Is there any way I can continue the workflow after it's stopped due to an error? Maybe in other words is there a way to correct the error and have the workflow continue from that point? Currently we are having to terminate the workflow and restart it from the beginning which can be quite a hassle. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Labels: (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: How to continue workflow after an error occurs

Jump to solution

Alex, unfortunately there is not a way to continue a workflow once it has errorred out.  There is currently an idea to add this on the customer feedback site that is under review (Restart Workflow From The Point of Failure – Customer Feedback for Nintex‌). 

In the mean time there are a couple of things you could do to lessen the impact of a failed workflow.  First thing would be to build in error handling.  Here are a couple of posts that deal with this topic.

Also, a number of Nintex actions have error handling built in.  So you can check if an error exists, and then do something based on that.

If your workflow is a really long process, you could break it up into smaller pieces that are each their own workflow.  So if one of those pieces fails, then you only have to restart that one piece, and not the whole workflow.  Hope that helps. 

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I cannot imagine why no one else would have asked this question. The reason that I made a long, multi-step workflow is that in O365 we pay a subscription per workflow. we are allowed to create 20 workflows.  so, splitting these steps out into indivisual workflows just in case they need to be restarted is not at all practical. I have 33 actions in this one workflow. and the 29th one failed, for some unknown reason.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

, send me an email when you have a chance. Let's talk, I'll help you out. Breaking apart your workflow doesn't necessarily mean each one of those smaller workflows will count towards your total. :-) I promise I'll make sure you are taken care of. 

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I have very sensitive workflow running it was Stacked  in one step for approval CHRO he gave his approval finally but the workflow, unfortunately, wouldn't to continue it keeps pending now the managers they will killing me because its a very long approval process we are stacked now we can't cancel the workflow and start from 0 this mean west 2 months or find a way to hack the workflow to change the stupid  outcome pending I hate nintex 

0 Kudos