cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How does Nintex save data in Repeating section fields

Jump to solution

So, we are trying to use repeating section for our users on a list. For some reason the data captured in the repeating section is not visible on the list view. Could someone please shed light on this?

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Not applicable

Re: How does Nintex save data in Repeating section fields

Jump to solution

Hi Nitin,

The Repeating Section data is stored on a metadata property called "Form Data". I think it is hidden. You can parse it using Nintex Workflow.

Here is a very good link: Nintex Forms/Workflow - Parsing Repeating Section Data - Vadim Tabakman

For displaying the Repeating Section on the List itself, I have done it with a workaround. I have a Multi-line Column with HTML enabled, and I parsed the repeating section data and created a table and assigned the value to the property. Like in the below:

Repeating Section List View.png

Would be glad if there are alternatives to showing repeating section data on List View

Let me know if this helps.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Lean.

I did see Vadim's blog about it. But I wanted to make sure that there isn't anything wrong with the site since I was not able to see the data.

I like how you created the table and displayed the results. I will try and implement and see if it works.

Thanks again,

Nitin

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Nitin,

On the list side, the way to view the data is to create a multi-line field in your list.  Then go to your form and give the repeating section a name and connect the repeating section to the multi-line field.  Nintex will push the data into that field automatically, but it will show as raw XML unless you do what Lean has done.

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Lean,

Could you share how you created the table from the XML output?

Also do you know how to parse that once to create a new item in a new list?  I've read that you can do that to create parent-child items from one form, just not sure how to do that with the UDA from Vadim's blog.

Thanks for your help

Eric

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I did create the multiline field and connected the repeating section. But I never was able to see the raw data in the list view. The field is diplayed blank. The only way to see the data is to view the item on Nintex form.

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Nitin,

Ensure your multiline is plain text..

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 10.01.29 AM.png

Then select it from the connected option in the form designer

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 10.01.58 AM.png

Then it should show up when you publish the form and fill in data

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 10.03.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 10.03.31 AM.png

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Eric,

Thanks for taking time to explain that. I went through the steps you mentioned. Unfortunately I don't see that raw xml. Are there any limitations regarding no. of fields or type of fields in the repeating section?

I have 11 (multiline text), 1(choice column) and 1(radio button choice column in the repeating section).

Again appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Nitin,

Can you send me a screenshot of your list view and you form? 

You should be able to see it following those steps.  I'm not sure of the limitation since you are using so many multiline text columns. 

One random question is why are you using so many multiline columns?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Eric,

Due to confidential nature of our work I won't be able to share the exact screenshot with you. Although, I can create a mockup if you think that will help.

Here is the basic format for the repeating section:

All we are trying to capture is (multiple) contact information of people related to the item. This basically include information like(Name, Address, City, State and few other fields where data might be little more).

One of the reason we created so many multiline text for each field is, because we thought every repeated information is saved as an XML markup inside that same field. So for example, if there are multiple name(s), the Name field would be filled up quickly with all that extra xml and the single line text would not suffice.

I don't  know if I have really understood the underlying architecture behind the repeating section. Nintex user manual doesn't provide much techical details.

0 Kudos