cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do you connect multiple choice fields to a sharepoint column through nintex mobile?

I have created a Nintex form containing multiple panels with aspects of each feeding into the same two sharepoint columns. The panel shown is dependent on the incident category chosen. For example the two incident types shown below are connected into a single sharepoint column listed as incident type.

Designer 1.PNG

However when the form is published, the sharepoint column does not reflect the information entered into the Nintex mobile version following submission. To confuse this even more, the desktop version works correctly?

Any ideas anyone?

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
barryc
Nintex Newbie

Re: How do you connect multiple choice fields to a sharepoint column through nintex mobile?

Hi Ian,

Are you sure your desktop version works correctly? It doesn't sound right to me to connect two fields to the same list column. Happy to be corrected but I think that just because a panel is hidden does not mean that the value of controls on it are not posted back to the list. I tested this myself by creating a single form with two choice controls and connected them to a single list column, I found that regardless of what was shown on the form the value of the second choice control was the one saved back to the list, even when it was hidden.

Do you also have Workflow available to process data from submitted forms?

Barry

Not applicable

Re: How do you connect multiple choice fields to a sharepoint column through nintex mobile?

Barry,

Thanks for your response. Having looked into your observation further I'm now not sure. I tested the desktop version again this morning and I now suspect we are both correct although i'm uncertain as whether this is by design or luck!

Desktop 2.PNG

The above establishes that the first test was successful using the connected method, however the second, moments later and using a different category was unsuccessful.

As per your suggestion though, I'll create an individual sharepoint column for each until I understand this further.

barryc
Nintex Newbie

Hi Ian,

I wasn't necessarily suggesting to create two columns although you could do that and even create a third calculated column which checks which of the other 2 is not null and uses that 3rd column in your view.

But what I wondered is if you have workflow at your disposal? What you could do in that case is check which type field has been used and populate a single choice column. Your type controls in the form wouldnt need to be promoted to the list but there are nice methods available to query back their values.

If you have workflow, I can provide more ideas.

Barry

barryc
Nintex Newbie

In fact Ian, there is possibly a better way that doesn't require workflow, nor writing any custom JavaScript.

How about not binding your Incident Type columns to the list. Create the choice columns only locally on the form. Then create a calculated value control which determines the value to use and that control IS connected to a list column.

So in the example below I have a calculated value which looks at 2 choice controls, Choice1 and Choice2. The formula below says use Choice2 if it's not empty, otherwise use the value of Choice1.

choices.png

Note in this case I bound the control to the Title field, hence the warning.

The only gotcha I can see with this approach is if the user has already filled in a choice control and then that control was hidden due to a change in other form options the wrong Incident Type could be picked up.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Barry

In my case, its multiple hidden panels, with a control each pointing to same list column. How can we achieve the same. And yes, I do have a workflow associated

- Query XML action on Form data

- calculated column as suggested by your earlier post

- different columns for each control

- or possible through workflows anyhow??

Any pointers to this are greatly appreciated.

kmorry19
Nintex Newbie

What if I am trying to write more than two choice controls to the same column... say 3 or 4?

lhopgood
Nintex Newbie

Hi Kimberley,

Not sure if you still need this but Andrew Glasser submitted a good piece on nested if statements in Nintex here -

https://community.nintex.com/community/build-your-own/blog/2015/12/08/advanced-calculated-values

just remember to unbind your columns, and bind to the calculated field.

0 Kudos