cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Hidden People Picker doesn't show up fully when it is shown.

I have a people picker on my form for the user to insert an approver for the request. The user only needs to enter an approver under certain scenarios. The people picker starts hidden and if the user enters info that requires an approval then the people picker is shown. I do this with a rule and the rule responds correctly. It is not the only control associated to that rule and all the other controls show correctly, but the people picker control doesn't show fully. There is just a thin horizontal gray line that hi-lights blue when you hover over it. You can click into the box (more like a line) when it is blue and type. You can't see anything you are typing because the box isn't big enough. The auto fill box that the people picker control has shows up, but shows up vertically with each letter of the name on separate lines.

I have tried:

• putting the control in a panel with other controls that need to be hidden and applying the rule to the panel
  • putting it in its own panel (instead of the one with other controls i am hiding) and applying the rule to that panel too
  • not putting it in a panel and just using the rule to hide it
  • hiding it with jquery

The work around that I have in place now (which is absolutely horrible) is to always show the control, and put an empty label over top of it with the same color as the background. When I need to show the control I hide the label and when I need to hide the control I show the label. this doesn't shrink the space when its hidden (since its not really hidden)

I have attached pictures of what I am talking about. One shows just the picker, one shows it when it is highlighted (so you can see it better) the last shows when typing and what the suggestions look like.

Nintex Forms 2010 1.6.0.0

SharePoint 2010

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Hidden People Picker doesn't show up fully when it is shown.

Hello,

Can you try putting just the people picker control in a panel of its own and then placing the hide rule on the panel and removing it from the people picker itself.   This might fix this strange behavior that you are seeing.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

I have a crazy question? Does the user really have to pick the approver or couldn't that be handled in the workflow? The workflow could check for the scenarios and a SharePoint list could have the approvers (people pickers). The workflow could pull back the approver needed. You wouldn't need to display the people picker. I did that in one of my solutions. For example, based on the team you pick there would be a specific approver.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thank you for the response. I just tried that and it is the same result. I've also tried deleting the panel it was in and adding it to another one. I really didn't think that would work but it was worth a shot. I've also tried deleting the people picker and then adding another one and that didn't work either.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thank you for the suggestion. That will not work with the requirements I was given for the form.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

This might sound like a strange suggestion but please give it a shot:   create a new rule that does the same thing as the old one, but only apply it to the people picker.   I have seen different behavior based on there being multiple rules of the same sort before when compared to using one rule on many controls.

Thanks and let me know the results.

Mike

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I have actually had to do something like that on a different form, so it wasn't that strange of a suggestion. However when I tried it, it didn't work. I also took the css styling off of the control and that didn't make a difference. I've also made sure that the control isn't touching anything because I've seen weird things happen when you things you are trying to hide are touching.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Sounds like you've tried a lot of good suggestions so far.  Two last things, that you've probably already tested:  did you try moving the control to a different position on the form?   And lastly, did you create an entirely different form and try to hide the control there as well with any different results?

PS:  What happened when you hide the control using JQuery - did that have any different effect?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I figured out that it was something in the JavaScript that was causing the issue. I found this out by removing all the custom JavaScript in the form settings and seeing if the rules still made it look goofy. It looked fine so I started commenting out lines of JavaScript to figure out what was causing the issue. Turns out when I removed this line:

NWF.FormFiller.Functions.ProcessOnChange(NWF$("#" + additionalApproverNeeded));

the control looked correct. I was using this code because in the function I am making changes to the checkbox with JavaScript variable name additionalApproverNeeded and that is part of the rule that shows the people picker that wasn't showing correctly. This code processed the change I made in the function so the rule would no that the control changed. At first glance it looks like the rule is still working with this removed (not sure how) so maybe I didn't need that line anyway. I'm still not sure why that would cause that to happen but looks like I found my solution.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

0 Kudos