Thanks and Regards,
UPDATE: I created a dummy form and added all of my available controls to it to see if I had the same issue on all controls. The results were interesting:
Calculated Value: No
Multi Line Textbox: No
Page Break Guide: N/A
Page Viewer: N/A
Rich Text: N/A
Single Line Textbox: Yes
Sql Request: No
Web Request: No
Attachments Control: N/A
Solved! Go to Solution.
this is an individual problem. I tested all controls you mentioned and can provide a js variable name for all of them.
Tested on SP2013 onPrem with Nintex Forms v126.96.36.199
Any errors in the browser console? Have you tried to turn it off and on again (Nintex Features, if that doesn't help Nintex Solutions)?
What browser are you using? I've noticed varying degrees of success on carrying out operations depending on the flavor of the day browser.
Thanks for the response. I think rather than an individual problem this is a farm problem. I have access to a lab environment with a training vendor and I can configure these just fine. On my corporate enterprise production environment, they cannot be configured. Same browser also.
I have had one of our IDE admins (Eudoro Espinoza) test this out and he has the same issue with the same controls. This issue exists on our dev/QA environments also.
Just cannot understand why they are giving us issues on our production environment. We have a ticket in with support but they have not responded yet. Was hoping to hear that someone else had this issue and found a resolution.
"...turn on-off again..." We are in the process of resetting our environment and Nintex is being redeployed. Will let you know if this resolves the issue.
Is the site added to compatibility view settings in IE? If so, remove it. Recently, in the newest version of Nintex, I have found several features stop working when the site was listed under compatible sites, and removing them fixed the issue with the designer. This might explain why the same browser acts different for different sites. Its probably a long shot but worth one no doubt.
I just checked and my production environment was NOT listed but the TekDog lab environment IS listed. I went ahead and added my domain to the compatibility view to see if that was the difference.
Sounds good, let me know the results. Like I said, I had success when I removed the sites/domains from compatibility list. Making them "less" compatible made them "more". Ironic.
Sorry for the slow response. Lots of fires to put out after major platform maintenance. It does not seem to matter whether the site is in or not in compatibility mode. The error persists.
Just adding an update... we are working with Nintex support on this and they asked us to update to the most current version of Nintex Forms to see if the issue gets resolved. We did update and the issue persists. Any feedback from the community is welcome and I will continue to update any relevant info from out open ticket.