Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Email subject - get from another list

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm using Sharepoint 2013 with Nintex WF and I need send email in workflow with subject and text, which I need to get from another list.

I know how to do this in Sharepoint Designer WF with lookup, but not with Nintex WF - I only see the options to get the attribues of current list, common attributes like web URL and then some functions like Min, Max.

Thanks for help.

Labels: (1)
12 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Email subject - get from another list

Jump to solution

Hi Ludvik Ctrnacty,

Create a workflow variable of Single Line Text type and set it equal to information from another list. Similarly create Body variable of multiple lines of text type and set it up.

Then you can reference them in the Subject and body of the email notification. It will not show the variable option until you have created one.

Hope that help.s

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

you should use Query List action.

select a list that you need to get info from, define conditions to identify an item to return and define fields to return.

if you are you are expecting just one single row to be returned you might use scalar output variables like single line of text, if more results might be returned use collection variable.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

So, it's not possible to do this just with Insert reference button in Send notification action.

I'm just looking for a way how to make this as simply as possible:

I have notification list (one line, one notification):

notification.jpg

And I need for example following output:

[Notification 1 - Part 1] [ID of current item] [Notification 1 - Part 2] [Other field from current item] [Notification 1 - Part 3]

But the output can change - some notifications have only 2 parts, etc.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Hi Ludvik Ctrnacty,

It would work with Insert Reference if the data you are adding in the email resides in the current list where you are creating the workflow. As you mentioned in your questions, you want this data from another list. So you need to query the data or set the variables with data from another list.

If this is not the case, then you can always use insert reference. If the data is not there for some column, it will not be shown in the email. There will be no error and it will work fine.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

to take it word by word, you effectively just add a reference to the send notification action - reference to a variable(s)

but you have to populate it/them somehow first. and that's what query list action do resp. it's first step to do that.

Query list action is the easiest way to do that.

if you really want to have data from remote list available in 'current' list, one of the possible way is that you add a lookup column to the current list that will reference an item in the remote list (in your case Notification_ID).

sharepoint then provides you with possibility to append additional fields from the referenced item (Part# in your case).

but that means you have to somehow ensure that primary lookup column is populated before you can  use it - either request if from user when submitting item or do it within workflow (in which case you will anyway need to use query list action).

not sure whether this is an option for you and whether you would see it 'easier'

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for answers. I was just surprised that I must use additional actions and in Sharepoint Designer is the possibility to do this right in send email action - so I thought I missed something

0 Kudos
eiben
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

just for nitpickers: SharePoint Designer does the same thing - but instead of querying the list beforehand you configure the lookup within the send-mail actions.

The number of actions (and clicks for the configure) are somewhat the same - but in SharePoint Designer you will have to configure the lookup again if you would want to send a second mail. And without having validated this I would assume, that SharePoint Designer will actually query the list twice - instead of once! In Nintex you could just query the list once, store the data in the variable and the reuse it as many times as you wish.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

So, I have notification list and another list with email recipients.

So i need to do:

1. Use query list action - get email text from notification list

2. Use query list action - get email recipient from another list

3. Build string action - set the email text in correct form with current item attributes (+ i need custom hyperlink in which i need to use current item ID and i have no idea how to make this in build string action)

4. Send notification action

I just have more than 70 different notifications - so it's like 280+ actions

eiben
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I would try to fetch all notifications and all recipients at once and then try to match them using loops instead of querying the lists inside of a loop!

0 Kudos