cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Copy attachment from list item to document library

Hi

I am using Workflow for Office 365 and have the following scenarios which I can't find an answer to:

1. User creates a list item with multiple attachments. I then want a workflow to take the attachments from the list item and move them to a document library

2. User uploads multiple documents to a document library using drag & drop. I then want a form to load up asking the user for information about the documents and write this to columns within the document library.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
21 Replies
gadams
Nintex Newbie

Re: Copy attachment from list item to document library

I was initially thinking that you would have to use a call workflow action to retrieve a collection of the URLs of the attachments. Then use a looping action to process each of them. The copy item to sharepoint action could be used to upload the file to a document library. (you will need to build the string for the destination URL).

I was trying a quick google search for the web service to find the urls of the attachments. Which I did find but then I found this blog post on exactly what you are after.

http://www.projectpoint.at/?p=1087

Hope this helps.

Gavin

Not applicable

Thanks for this, its what I want but I am using Nintex for Office 365 and the call web service looks completely different from the one in the example on the website

0 Kudos
gadams
Nintex Newbie

Hi Alan,

that does make it harder but I was keen to do a little explore as I am starting to do more work with SharePoint online.

I found this Nintex guide on calling web services for office 365 and wow it does look more complex.

http://nintexdownload.com/SL/Supportfiles/NWO365_calling_a_web_service.pdf

No I'm no programmer so others may be able to help. The json query at the bottom of page 6 in the guide could be modified to grab the attachment files (or hopefully the attachment URLs).

This article has some detail on the URL that you could possibly modify to suit.

How to: Get list item attachments using REST and JavaScript in SharePoint 2013 - Corey Roth [MVP]

Sorry cant help you further on this.

Looks you are in for a few hours of trial and error testing.

Cheers,

Gavin

Not applicable

Hi

Solved this now. Your link was very helpful and with a but if extra research I found a way of achieving my required activities. Blog post coming soon.

Sent from my Windows Phone

gadams
Nintex Newbie

Great to hear Alan.

If you could post up the link to your blog article to this thread once it's up that would be great.

Cheers,

Gavin

dan_stoll
Nintex Newbie

Hey Alan Richards, I'm interested in seeing what you did here.. It is something I'm thinking at having to do also..

Not applicable

So I finally managed to get a working solution and write it up. You can find the file on my SlideShare account if any one is interested. Please let me know if anyone has any comments or suggestions.

Nintex attachment workflow

bjorgensen
Nintex Newbie

(I posted this on Alan's blog as well)

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, Alan. This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work for me. In the "Office 365 upload file" step, I consistently get the following error: "Some parameters failed the validation check. - [InputDestinationFolderPath]: The folder path is invalid." Note that I get a different message if the path truly doesn't exist, so it's finding it. I've tried pointing to a custom library, Shared%20Documents, Shared%20Documents\test, and numerous other variations but nothing works. Any suggestions?

lukegullifer
Nintex Newbie

Hi Brad,

Did you have any luck fixing the error, I am getting the same problem at the moment