cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Child WF completed but main WF is still waiting

I'm having a weird issue with some workflows that I cannot reproduce.

I have a main workflow that calls another small workflow and waits for it to finish before it resumes.

The child workflow starts and completes successfully within a minute, no issues what so ever.. but the main workflow is still waiting on it to be completed and is not going anywhere.. it has been 5 days now and it waiting on nothing!

Any idea what could be causing this and how do I give the main workflow a kick to let it know that the child had already completed.

SP/Nintex 2013 on prem.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Child WF completed but main WF is still waiting

try to add pause for action at the very beginning of child workflow and configure it to wait for some short period of time.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

how is that supposed to fix the parent workflow? The child workflow is running with no issues and it completed successfully. My concern is the parent workflow that can't recognize that the child had completed!

I found this question last night, Stalled Start Workflow action 

and seems like there is no way I can kick the current running workflow. I'll have to edit the workflow and do the following suggestion for the future instances... 

"We got this to work by not using "Wait for the workflow to complete before continuing" option and including a "wait until..." action afterwards. "

but do you have a suggestion to fix the running workflow?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

give it a try

your child workflow very likely finishes sooner than parent one settles a bit after it started it and until it sets up it's wait action.

various unexpected things use to happen due to this.

read following blog to understand further details  

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply