cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Check for empty person field in workflow

Jump to solution

This seems pretty elementary, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I have a form with a person field (Person_A). if that field has a value in it, I want to send them an email, otherwise I want to use the CreatedBy field. I'm having troubles assembling the combination of logic to do this.

Basically, if not(empty(Person_A)) then do this, otherwise do this.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Labels: (3)
Tags (2)
6 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Check for empty person field in workflow

Jump to solution

Use the 'Run If' action. Select 'List Lookup in that action and select the field that is a people picker and say if it is not empty. Come out of that action. Within that drag the action what you want to do in that 'Run If' set. Create another 'Run If' based on the what you want to do if the people picker is empty. Put that action within that set.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Almost similar response to burkslm's answer above. Run If or Set a Condition. Configure that action to check the field for "is empty"/"is not empty".

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply...I had a few things up in the air so I'm back to working on this...

That seems like it should work, however, when I try that, I don't see any comparison operator for Is Not Empty.

2015-02-16_12-40-08.png

So, that's really where I'm confused.  Any suggestions?

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

The Run If action is the best to use, but there is a catch - you can only choose 'equal to' or 'not equal to' as it is a person/group field.  To check it against a wildcard or check if it 'is empty' or 'is not empty' you need to first assign the Person field to a Workflow Variable text field in a Set Workflow Variable action, then do your check on the new variable.

By clicking on the Fx to the right of the Person field you can choose which component of the person field to bring in.

workflowsoln.jpg

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi, Matt,

Let us know how this advice works out and select a "correct answer" if you have one. It's helpful for others in the community when they use search for correct answers.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I had the same situation and tried this advice but it didn't work. The Set Variable action suspends the workflow if the Person or Group field it's referencing is empty.

Brad