cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Can You Cancel a Pending Workflow Task?

Hi Folks,

I have a number of forms that have a cancellation panel on them where a person can cancel the request. Up to now, I have accomplished this by having a separate workflow running waiting for a Cancel field to equal yes, then can el any other running workflows.

I want to find out if there is a way to do this without having a separate workflow running.

So, lets suppose there is a flexi task running and someone clicks cancel on the form. How would I exit the pending flexi task and move on with the workflow to run through some other actions?

Thanks and Regards,

Patrick

Labels: (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Can You Cancel a Pending Workflow Task?

@kelliganp ......you can set the workflow to start at item menu.....you can name the workflow as Cancel Request. This will trigger the workflow which will terminate all running workflow. When the workflow which assigns the task gets terminated, it will automatically cancels all the task associated with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi @kunalpatel

Thanks for the reply. The solution you propose is essentially the same thing I already have but it is executed within the form in my solution. You propose a separate workflow that runs to cancel the other(s). My primary workflow still has work to do when a cancellation takes place and the flexi task is aborted. Case and point, lets say I have a leave request that has pulled available time off from a time bank to reserve it for the current request. Upon cancellation, I will want the workflow to abort the flexi task and return any reserved time off back to the requestor's bank of available time off.
Currently, to accomplish this, I must cancel the running primary workflow with a cancellation workflow and then restart the primary workflow to complete the necessary time bank work. I accomplish this with a state machine, switch, and state flags so that when the cancellation takes place, the workflow knows to run through the cancelled state. This works reliably but I am looking for a more elegant way to accomplish this with less overhead. Especially one that does not require an additional workflow and can be handled by the use from within the form.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and Regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

@kelliganp ......What if you use parallel branch? In 1 branch use the task action and get the action ID, in 2nd branch use wait for item update action?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi @kunalpatel,

I think that you response sparked some thoughts on this but I tried to build a test model and discovered that the Flexi task action will not allow the use of the "Action ID" variable; only a Number or List item ID data type when storing the task ID. Also, the "Complete workflow task" action  which seems like the logical choice for the other parralell branch in my case, will only accept "Action ID" variable data type. Will this process NOT work with a Flexi task? Can you think of another work around?

Thanks so much for the assistance.

Patrick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

@kelliganp ......Can you try using Request Approval action? It does have the option to store action ID.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi @kunalpatel,

I will try and model that as a proof of concept but my workflows call for the features that a flexi task has so using a Request Approval action does not work for my purposes.

Regards,

Patrick 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

@kelliganp ....Can you tell me the reason for using flexi task? If it's for the reminder then if you use request approval in parallel branch with reminder action then it will achieve the same thing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

@kunalpatel ... Flexible / greater than 2 outcomes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

I just wanted to bump this up the list a bit so see if anyone out there wants to take a crack at it.

@TomaszPoszytek ?

@emha ?

@rhia ?

@cassymfreeman ?

@andrewg ?

@jesse_mchargue 

Well, those are most the heavy hitters that have proved genius in the past... Maybe one of you have an idea! Forgive me for calling you out but activity seems low these days on here and I wanted to see if I could stir up the inboxes a bit. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos