cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can I create an item in Visual Studio Team Services from SharePoint 2010 with Nintex?

Hello. I am helping my team out with SharePoint development and working on a Nintex workflow.

We are using:

• SharePoint 2010
  • Nintex
  • Visual Studio Team Services 2015

I am hoping that after a request has come in an been approved (first part of workflow) that I can "create item in another site" aka create an VSTS task item via SharePoint/Nintex workflow.

Is this possible? If so, any advice or documentation would be great.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Can I create an item in Visual Studio Team Services from SharePoint 2010 with Nintex?

Hi Sarah,

VSTS offers a REST API that might offer what you are looking for.

Full reference: REST API Overview for Visual Studio Team Services and Team Foundation Server 

This article explains how to execute a REST call from inside Nintex Workflow:  

Cheers

Philipp

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Can I create an item in Visual Studio Team Services from SharePoint 2010 with Nintex?

‌ - 

Thanks for the references... this was asked of us today if it was possible and I assumed we could do it, just have no clue on how to. I will have to give this a once over and see what I can do!

Are you currently doing this now anywhere? Just wondering if there are any examples to follow.

I'll let you know how it goes!

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Hi ‌,

unfortunately I've never done this myself and afaik my colleagues haven't either.

Looking forward to hearing your results!

0 Kudos
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

I wanted to check in on this, and let everyone know that I was successful in connecting to VSO and able to create a work item by using the Web Request action in my workflow. It took a bit of messing around, and some playing with Fiddler, but I got it working. I am trying to do it using Microsoft Flow as well in O365, to see if one is better (more straightforward) than the other and what (if any) are the benefits/disadvantages to each.

Sarah Wallis‌ - I am connecting my Nintex 2010 workflow to Visual Studio Online and there is a ton of info out there.

I would check out Work Items | REST API Reference for Visual Studio Team Services and Team Foundation Server on how to create work items. I would try it out in Fiddler or Postman first to understand all the parts to it. Then try to get it working in Nintex WF.

Hoping to write up a blog on it next week if I have time!

koolgeex
Nintex Newbie

Hello ‌! Glad to know you got this working. Were you ever able to write up that blog post? If so, where can i find it?

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Unfortunately I did not

I am actually working on recreating this within Nintex Workflow Cloud as we are moving in that direction and it is on my list of things to do. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will see what I can do.

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Candace Kizzie‌ - 

I have all my notes from when I did this connecting Nintex Workflow 2010 to Visual Studio Online if you are interested in that. I just need to organize them so others can read

Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Hello Candace Kizzie‌ - 

Here you go:  

Let me know if you have any questions!

koolgeex
Nintex Newbie

Thank you so much. I just left a comment for you on your blog post. I'll continue to work with you there!