cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Call Powershell From Nintex

I want to execute a task or command on the SharePoint Server.

What Nintex product provides for this functionality?

Please include additional resources available regarding this topic.

Thanks

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
23 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Call Powershell From Nintex

None of the default actions will call PowerShell.

Dataone have a product that works with Nintex Workflow. Most of their site is not in English but they do have some English content here http://de.slideshare.net/DataOneGmbH/data-one-poweractivity

Main site

http://www.dataone.de/Seiten/SharePointLoesungenPowerActivity.aspx

I have not tried these my self.

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

I'm pretty new to the products and have just gone through training. I too wondered about firing a powershell script from a workflow. I haven't tried this, but couldn't you use an Execute SQL task to fire a T-SQL xp_cmdshell command that fires the Powershell script? 

There are definitely some assumptions made in this scenario: this assumes you have an MSSQL server available and that xp_cmdshell is enabled (a big "if", since that can be a security consideration). Also, I'm not sure whether you'd be able to actually return any information to the workflow using this method. But even if it can just simply fire a script, that may suffice for some needs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

First of all, I wouldn't recommend to allow freeform PowerShell scripts in any sort of a Workflow Activity. Otherwise, each workflow publishing iteration would require a thorough security and stability review.

Otherwise, I think it's possible to use Nintex SDK to create wrapper actions for specific allowed PowerShell cmdlets such as Get-Process, Get-ADUser, whatever is appropriate for your organization.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

If your DBA is serious, most likely you'll get denied at attempting to execute xp_cmdshell on a production SQL server as that would be a security breach.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

...I wouldn't recommend to allow freeform PowerShell scripts in any sort of a Workflow Activity. Otherwise, each workflow publishing iteration would require a thorough security and stability review.

This depends on the practices within your organization. Being a financial services company, my organization operates with a high degree of security, however I'm allowed the latitude & trust to introduce scripts that perform needed operations without said review. Depending on personnel abilities, resources and the level of acceptable risk, it can be entirely appropriate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Well, Ryk, what can I say? Congratulations, you must have deserved it somehow.

And, quite possibly, you may have withheld some formal or unspoken limitations of what you may or may not include in those scripts. Are they enforced in any way?

Do you believe it will be exactly the same with the next Chief Security Office occupant or anyone that might take your place when you decide to move on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Don't forget that an upset IT admin is a major insider threat, they must be keeping you pretty happy at work, huh? ;)

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Kerry Dirks here's a free custom PowerShell Action for Nintex.

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Ryk McDorman‌ I put together a custom action to execute PowerShell scripts that allows the administrators to determine whether or not each script has to be approved or not.  You can find the details here.