andrewg
Scout

Re: Workflows not continuing - Timer Service and Delays

Kamal Pandey‌, though these settings are configurable through PowerShell, there is a lot to consider before making any adjustments. A full app pool isn't always caused by workflows, but by unmanaged request objects. Other site customizations can cause "heavy load" situations that you see in workflows. Having one WebFrontEnd for thousands of users or trying to split 8GB of RAM across 12 web applications have an effect too.

But, I have used these configurations to allow more throughput for workflows per content database/app pool knowing that I had enough RAM and CPU to handle it across the WFEs.

Other times, adding a second WFE was all that was needed.

For more on the configurations see Workflow Scalability and Performance in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

But i'm glad you posted these as they are useful.

0 Kudos
iecm
Novice

We have the same issue on SharePoint 2013.

SharePoint Workflow Foundation Service work only on WFE.

How we can resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey Andrew Glasser, absolutely right, can you please  heck my last blog I mentioned all details there , here I specifies only high level steps- i hope you got it

andrewg
Scout

Please see Workflows and the SharePoint services required to run them for the resolution you are looking for.

andrewg
Scout

I'm very interested, but I think I missed the link. Can you share it again? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I have had the same problem on a SharePoint 2013 and restarting the Timer Service did not help and as I am a lazy person, reinstalling wouldn't be an option. In Central Admin I saw that the Timer Job "Workflow" seemed to be stuck, as it was almost running all the time without making any progress.

Stopping the Timer Service, Re-entering the spfarm password, starting the Timer Service again and doing a iisreset fixed the issue for me (Fixing a SharePoint 2010 Stuck Workflow Timer Job | SnickerShare).

0 Kudos
andrewg
Scout

Great feedback!, maybe the farm password had changed previously. That would also cause the same symptoms.

0 Kudos
cassymfreeman

Pamela Denchfield​ would this also affect the "Start workflow" action?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Greetings Cassy,

Yes, "Start Workflow" action can be impacted by SharePoint Timer Service issues, if you use the option "Wait for the workflow to complete before continuing" in the settings of that action.

0 Kudos
waltont
Apprentice

This appears to have resurfaced in your version 3.2.2.0. Can anyone tell me if this issue is resolved with version 3.2.3.2? I have restarted the timer service multiple times, and we are well beyond the 2011 CU noted in the original article. This was working fine in our previous version prior to upgrading to 3.2.2.0.