Not applicable

Set a field value to null not working

Jump to solution

I use a single line text field to store a decision which is later used multiple times in switch actions to decide what should happen next inside the workflow. As I don't want to add multiple decision fields but rather only use a single one I have to reuse the field - thus I reset (or better "want to reset") the field value to null after every switch.

I use the simple "set field value" action for this and don't specify a value for the field (expected that this would set a null or at list empty string value). After this action I have the action which makes sure that pending value changes are being performed and after that a wait for field change action. I noticed that the wait for field change action got immediately triggered. But no value change (to null) was being performed.

When I set a random value in the action it is being performed so my "not really setting a value" seems to lead to the action being ignored.

How can I perform this simple task correctly? Haven't found a formula to set a null value either.

2 Replies
bamaeric
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Set a field value to null not working

Jump to solution

Try creating a workflow variable of type "Single line of text" and keep the Default Value empty.  Use that workflow variable as the value in your action configuration and see what results you get.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

Re: Set a field value to null not working

Jump to solution

Yeah, that's exactly what I ended up doing and it works as expected. But somehow I ask myself if there is a more elegant way without the need of a separate variable.

0 Kudos