Not applicable

How do i initiate email reminder ones get Approved next renewal after 180 days send notification and alert for the user  ?

Jump to solution

Hi

I am a beginner user looking for help. I need to create a workflow Which remained the user for an approvalrenewal after 180 days from the first approval  (for example. today when the field has a approve 15/Oct/2014  again send email notification  and alert  for  next approved date 14/Apr/2015).  I am  having a hard time trying to figure out how to set it up.

Thanks & Regards

Saravanan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andrewg
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: How do i initiate email reminder ones get Approved next renewal after 180 days send notification and alert for the user ?

Jump to solution

There is definitely more than one way to accomplish this. Here is one example. You can create two workflows. One is a list workflow on the list where the items are. The second is a site workflow.

List workflow

This workflow simply has the approval task within and any other logic needed. It is only able to start manually, not automatic.

Site workflow

Schedule to run everyday (but I recommend once a week), And it queries the list and checks if an item's approve date is 180 days from the original approve date (+- 3days if running once a week). If the item is within range, then start the list workflow on the item.

You could also create a calculated field on the list and set it to 180 days from approve date (called next approval date). And query this field instead. Then when the approval is made in the list workflow, it could automatically update the original approval date to set it up for the next time.

Again, there are several other methods to this. But I would recommend that you would NOT create a long running workflow if possible. As in, do not create a workflow that starts running on the item and is in a pause for 180 days. This is because the pause calculation is potentially evaluated every 5 minutes for 180 days. Way to much processing usage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: How do i initiate email reminder ones get Approved next renewal after 180 days send notification and alert for the user ?

Jump to solution

Another possibility would be to calculate the date, when the workflow should run the next time and at the end of the approval workflow, you use the "Start a workflow" action with a schedule. However, this is not recommended if you are having a lot of list items, but the possibility would still be there.

Personally, I'd go with with Andrews Site workflow approach...

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

HI,

Create variable like @NextNotification (I always using @ for regular variable) and make it equal "currentdate-180"

Condition your site level workflow to send notification if current date = @NextNotification

Update date Date Send (if need it) with the second notification date (overwrite previous value)

Regards, Mike

0 Kudos
amigooo
Forms Fledgling

Jump to solution

Hello,

we use two date fields and one integer field at our content type (file library). The first date field store the actual approval date, the integer field store the amount of month to next approval. The second date field store the next approval date (calculated from actual approval date + amount of month). Every day a site workflow check if there are next approval dates which are equal today. For that I use an Query List action with the following CAML Query

<Query>

<Lists>

<List ID="{Here comes the ListID}" />

</Lists>

<ViewFields>

<FieldRef Name="ID" />

</ViewFields>

<Where>

<Eq>

<FieldRef Name="NextApprovalDate"  />

<Value Type="DateTime">

<Today/>