Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nintex Newbie

Check if string variable is empty

Jump to solution

Hi,

Nintex newbie here.

I am setting a string variable from a field in a list item. The field is optional, so I need to know whether the variable contains a value or not. 

I am using a 'Run If' action to check the variable, but I only get options to check if the variable is 'equals' or 'not equals' to a value. There is no 'is empty' option.

I created another variable, and I am not setting a value to it, thereby leaving it null, and then I am comparing the two variables. It's not working, however.

Is there another way I can use to do this?

Many thanks in advance! 

Kasia.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Check if string variable is empty

Jump to solution

Hello again Kasia  Certainly, for "Run If" there is no such possibility

I did the following workaround for such purpose:

1. I have defined a text variable, but didn't set any value to it -ex.: var_EmptyString;
  2. Then I made a comparison in "Run If": variableToCompareIfEmtpy is equal var_EmptyString.

Regards,

Tomasz

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi again!

Thanks for your reply. 

If you look at my screenshot above, I think I did exactly what you described. And it just doesn't work. The code should not run if the variable is empty, right? But it runs.

Kasia.

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Oh... My bad. I haven't deeply read your question, just scrolled the text and thus I got not a complete view  sorry.

But on the other hand for the "Text" variables in "Run If" action you do have the option "is empty":

Maybe the variable you are trying to inspect is not a text, but a collection or sth?

I now realized that I used that workaround for the "Wait for Field Change in Current Item" action to check if the field "Check-out" is empty or not.

Regards,

Tomasz

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

YES! That was the problem. So silly... My variable was a Person, not string. That's why I didn't have the 'is empty' option.

Thank you!

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

To compare against a Blank variable in Office 365 you need to create 2 variables.

vtxtBlank1 = blank

vtxtBlank2 = blank

Then in the workflow set vtxtBlank2 = vtxtBlank1 which will effectively give you a Null value rather than blank

Then you can use the run if vtxtColumn1 = vtxtBlank2 (null)...

There are a few post regarding this.