cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

nintex workflow, using more than one update item action on one list creating error

nintex workflow, using more than one update item action on one list creating error, "The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information." Provide some suggestions

0 Kudos
7 Replies
fhunth
Nintex Newbie

Re: nintex workflow, using more than one update item action on one list creating error

I suggest you the following two:

-Check permissions

Has currently the initiator permissions for Contribute?

-Use the "Commit pending changes" before/after the update action

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Re: nintex workflow, using more than one update item action on one list creating error

Yes I'd recommend putting the Commit pending changes after the update.

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Chandni,

Why are you using more than one Update Item action.  You can lump multiple field updates into one action and perform them all at one time. 

Regardless of when you are updating an item, if you are doing calculations or anything else, try lumping your actions together and then doing your update last which would still cause you to have only one update.  If you need more than one, then committing the changes would be ideal, but you may want to look at conditions which need to be met so that you aren't making multiple calls to the item and updating your item multiple times which could cause an intermittent loop for the workflow if its set to run on item change.

Not applicable

Hi Fernando Hunth ,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a full control permission on that site .

I have already tried with "Commit pending changes" , "pause for" , "wait for item update" action , but still issue not resolved.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Eric Harris,

thanks for the reply.

I have to use "update item" action multiple times as per our need.

Even using "set a field value" action is not working and gives same error.

Any other suggestion for it.?

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Chandra,
Can you disable all but one update and ensure that you are updating a field with the same source type? Meaning text to text,  choice with a choice delimited,  etc.  Repeat this until your workflow works.

If your fields are required, try unrequiring them until you can perform an update with no problems and start back requiring them.

You may have to isolate some fields and run a log to history before the update action to do a comparison of the values that the workflow is carrying and inputting.   I do know that dates and people picker fields often cry wolf in certain situations.   

So the rule of thumb is to simplify your troubleshooting, isolate your updates and go back through it until you get a successful run.  Then slowly build it back.

Hope this helps. 

Not applicable

I was just dealing with this same error on a workflow that previously has been working fine.  I think this is one of those "generic" errors that don't have any specific meaning, since my research has led to many "solutions" that have worked for some but not others.

My solution (and it is always something so simple and stupid isn't it?):

I have my workflow set to start on modification of list item, no conditions.

Inside the workflow I had recently added 3 "SET FIELD VALUE"s--in otherwords, inside of a workflow that starts on modification, I am
modifying it,
so the workflow is trying to start again when it is already running and it doesn't like that.

Solution, I created a separate workflow holding the 3 updates, complete with their "run ifs".

Workflow A has:

field 1 with "run if" this condition > start Workflow B

field 2 with "run if" this condition > start Workflow B

field 3 with "run if" this condition > start Workflow B

Workflow B has

field 1 with "run if" this condition > update item X

field 2 with "run if" this condition > update item Y

field 3 with "run if" this condition > update item Z

When X,Y, and Z are modified via the second workflow, it will kick off workflow A again, so if the Workflow A conditions that kicked off Workflow B remain you will dive into a circular pattern--so be careful. Be sure that workflow B will change the condition that Workflow A is looking for!

0 Kudos