cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

how do you connect a yes/no selection to the title on a list?

Jump to solution

Tiltle connection.PNG

What i need to happen, is when one of the yes/no boxes gets checked, i need the (NO TITLE) COLUMN UP TOP to show the selection made as the title. Thanks

Hardware request form.PNG

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Chris_Ben
Nintex Newbie

Re: how do you connect a yes/no selection to the title on a list?

Jump to solution

Hi Tolu,

You can achieve this using calculated values.  I've assumed you have the following in place:

• A column with your checkbox choices.  Let's call it "Request Type" for this example
  • That column should be mandatory as you'll be writing the selection back to the title column which is always mandatory

Question for you to consider - are these choices mutually exclusive?  i.e. can the user select just one of the options or can they select multiple options?  If they can only select one option then I'd recommend changing this to a radio button or drop down list.  If they can select multiple options keep in mind your title field could look a bit strange as it's going to concatenate the choices the person made.

In the form:

• Remove the title edit box
  • Create a calculated field.
    • Place it anywhere on the form and apply a hide formula to it so it's not shown at all.
    • Give it a name.  For this example let's call it "Calculated Request Type".
    • In the Formula box, click on the f(x) button, navigate to Named controls and double click on "Request Type"
    • Click OK and save the calculated formula.
  • Create a second calculated field in the spot where you want the title to appear
    • Connect it to the Title column
    • Create the following formula (note the red text is the calculated control you created earlier)
    • substring(Calculated Request Type, 1, length(Calculated Request Type)-2)
  • Save all of that and you're done!

So what's going on there?  The first calculated field is just building up a string of your selections.  Let's say the user ticked MyAccess and PlanView. If you display this field you'll see it looks something like this:

[MyAccess,PlanView]

The second calculated field simply removes the brackets from the text and more importantly, saves the result back to the Title column.  I would have expected to achieve this using a single calculated value instead of two but it didn't work.  If anyone can shed light on why this formula doesn't work, I'd be interested:

substring(Request Type, 1, length(Request Type)-2)  <-- Request Type being the form control.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I tried it and nothing changed, here is a screenshot, maybe i am missing something

Calfield1.PNG

Calfield2.PNG

0 Kudos
Chris_Ben
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Looks like you're missing the substring bit in the second formula.  Also, for debugging purposes don't hide that first calculated value.  When you click on the check box, you should see that calcualated value change.  One more question for good luck - what column type is Hardware/software request from?  Is it a choice field?

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

yes its a choice filed but also i have a yes/no field. i pretty much want whatever selection that is made, on the form to appear as the title

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

What sub string bit am i missing in the formula for the second form?

0 Kudos
Chris_Ben
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

substring(RequestType, 1, length(RequestType)-2)

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update, tried it and i got this value

Newestvalue.PNG

newsubstring.PNG

just wondering if i am missing anything?

0 Kudos
tomcastiglia
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Tolu - Do you have a separate Yes/No column for each of the checkbox controls on your form (Hardware/Software Request, MyAccess, PlanView, ITRA/WorkOrder)?

It looks like's Chris' solution assumes that you have a just one choice column (Request Type) with checkboxes for each option, but stored in a single field.  If you don't require separate columns for each option, then Chris' solution would work although as Chris Ben​ suggested it would be best to use a drop down list and only allow one option.  If you do want to have separate columns, then it would be helpful to know how you wish the title to be formatted when more than one checkbox is selected.

0 Kudos
tomcastiglia
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Chris - For what its worth, I had the same problem when using only one calculated value, and had to create a 2nd one just as you did.  No idea why though. 

0 Kudos