cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Workflow with conditional start is running on every modification (2010)

I have a list workflow that needs to run when the Item Status field changes from any other status to "Completed." It is running every time the Item Status is "Completed" and the item is modified.

Here is what I've tried so far:

1. Workflow settings - start when items are modified. Using Conditional. Conditions check if current value of Item Status is "Complete AND if previous value is not equal to "Complete. 
    Rereg Intake Start Cond Not Complete.png
  2. Workflow settings - start when items are modified. Using Conditional. Conditions check if current value of Item Status is "Complete AND that the previous value of Item Status is not equal to the current value.

Rereg Intake Start Cond Cf Field.png
  3. Populate a variable with the contents of the Completed Date/Time field (the result of the workflow running). Set a run if action to check if the variable is empty.

Despite all of this, the workflow is still running every time the item is modified if the Item Status field is "Complete.

If the Item Status field is NOT "Complete", the workflow does not run.

Labels: (2)
2 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Workflow with conditional start is running on every modification (2010)

Hello -

I looks like your logic is correct, but as a potential work around, what about adding another status after 'Completed', such as 'Closed'. Your workflow would trigger as normal, but when it finishes, it changes the status to 'Closed', thus preventing it from triggering again.

Also, the time field is never really empty, but is set to 1-1-1901 by default (just not visible).

**EDIT**

I was able to validate that your first attempt should have worked. I created an item (started as 'pending'), submitted it to the list (no workflow triggered), went back and changed the status to completed, and it triggered. I went in again and changed the title, and workflow was not triggered. Here is my startup options:

Not sure what else you have going on in your workflow but try isolating as much as possible.

As an alternative, and I would look into this as it is easier to scale, set up a state machine and monitor the item's life-cycle and move from state to state. This allows you to start it up and then let your state machine pass it around to where you need it to go. It is easier to scale because you can quickly add/remove/move around actions as needed.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Workflow with conditional start is running on every modification (2010)

Thank you - I will definitely look into state machines for future workflows. While going back in to try to figure out what was different in my workflow, I realized I'd missed a crucial step in the "Run If" action. I hadn't moved the subsequent actions into the Run If box! After doing that, the workflow runs appropriately.