cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Update external list from workflow

Hello,

I recently came accross an issue with Nintex Workflows 2013.

I'm using a workflow to create and update items in a SQL database, using BCS and secure store services.

Creating an item is OK, but I'm facing issue when updating items, and I'm not sure why.

I've double checked permissions at the BCS and secure store levels (ECT, external system, etc.).

From what I understand, and this worked on our 2010 environment with SPD workflows, I need to use the web applications pool account that I see in IIS.

Updating manually from the external list works fine, so it's definitely a permissions issue.

The sad thing is that I can't see anything in the logs, except maybe this one, which led me to think that maybe the "Update item" command was the problem (since I did test that I could find the item by ID using a "if" and a "log in history"):

Category is Legacy Workflow Infrastructure

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListDataSource.UpdateEntityInstance(String bdcid, SPListItem itemToUpdate, IDictionary dictFieldValues)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow.SPWinOEWSSService.CommitUpdateListItem(Transaction txn, Object[] transData)

Any help would be appreciated, in the meantime I'll test with a SPD workflow instead.

Thank you

Labels: (2)
Tags (2)
3 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Update external list from workflow

This seems to be a bug on the Sharepoint Workflow Infrastructure ( No Nintex )

Take a look at >>> (BUG) - Update External List Workflow Action Fails in SP 2013

Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, the 2013 infrastructure is not configured, and I did saw that the message category is "Legacy Workflow Infrastructure" so I guess this is 2010.

I've tested with a standard SPD workflow, and I have the same behaviour.

Clearly there is something wrong but I can't find what... my secure store and bcs configurations are exactly the same on the 2010 and 2013 environments though...

Another question : if the 2013 WF infrastructure is configured for example on my preprod environment, will Nintex rely on it, or does it rely exclusively on the 2010 WF infra ?

Thank you

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Regarding your last question, Nintex only uses the 2010 workflow infrastructure.

Accept as Solution Reply