cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Text is overlapping the fields beneath it

Jump to solution

I have a multiline text field (BA Reason) whose contents are overlapping the fields beneath it on the Nintex workflow Flexi-task form. I have searched and read every question and blog post I can find on this site. Its control setting CSS class is nf-form-input nf-section. It is set to resize at run-time. I have put the field and its associated label on a panel, ensured they are completely within the panel, ensured that the panel does not overlap any other fields and still, it looks like this:

Screenshot of multiline text field contents overlapping fields beneath it

What else can I do to solve this please??? Thank you!

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Text is overlapping the fields beneath it

Jump to solution

could you post how does it look in designer?

I'd say the text control is not properly contained within the panel. - try to select the control (click on it with mouse) and then try to move it with arrow keys. it must not leave panel's boundaries. it if does leave it's not contained by the panel properly.

place controls beneath reason's panel into their own separate panel.

do you populated control's content by a javascript? or do you resize it by a javascript and/or CSS?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hello Marian Hatala

Thank you very much for your response. Here is the form in designer:

The BA Reason text control is completely within the panel, and the controls beneath are also in a separate panel.

There is no javascript to populate or to size it. The CSS in the control setting is the standard one: nf-form-input nf-section. Also, there are no rules associated with this control or with the panel it is on. The Budget Section panel beneath it is, at times, hidden, but the text overlaps what is below it whether this panel is shown or not.

Here are the complete settings for the BA Reason  control:

Does it matter whether the form control is taken from the General menu "Multi Line Textbox" and then associated to the list column in the settings, or if the form control is created by taking it directly from the List Columns menu? I can also try this experiment myself and see if it makes any difference.

I will be grateful for any further assistance! 

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Update: I deleted the General menu control and replaced with the List Column text box, and it made no change in the overlapping.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

The BA Reason text control is completely within the panel

visually it seems so, but sometimes it happens that a control is not in fact contained by over/underlying panel, or even it may happen that with some configuration changes contained control may 'escape' from it's enclosing panel. one of the ways how to ensure a control is enclosed by a panel is that move test with arrow keys. have you tried it?

and the controls beneath are also in a separate panel.

BA attachment label + control don't seem to be in a panel. place them both into a panel as well.

Does it matter whether the form control is taken from the General menu...

no, that shouldn't matter. I've never experienced a case when it would....

The Budget Section panel beneath it is, at times, hidden,

hopefully that's ensured by a formatting rule and not by a javascript/CSS...

some further hints to try:

- make a small space between BA title and BA reason rows

- make a small space between label and control for both BA title and BA reasonand

- place BA title + its control into a dedicated panel and BA reason + its control into its own dedicated panel

- check all the things discussed up to now for all the other controls and panels on the form.

further, I wonder how does your BA attachments works...

at design it looks like a text control but at runtime as a ordinary attachment control showing attachment links. why or where does this difference comes from?

do you overlap two controls? - that might be one of reasons why you experience these problems.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

visually it seems so, but sometimes it happens that a control is not in fact contained by over/underlying panel, or even it may happen that with some configuration changes contained control may 'escape' from it's enclosing panel. one of the ways how to ensure a control is enclosed by a panel is that move test with arrow keys. have you tried it?

Yes; the controls are definitely within the panel. Here you can see that the panel becomes highlighted when I start to move the BA Reason text control:

Screenshot of panel highlighted while starting to move the control

BA attachment label + control don't seem to be in a panel. place them both into a panel as well.

I have now done this.

The Budget Section panel beneath it is, at times, hidden,

hopefully that's ensured by a formatting rule and not by a javascript/CSS...

Correct, it is a formatting rule dependent upon the value of another list column that is on the form.

some further hints to try:

- make a small space between BA title and BA reason rows

- make a small space between label and control for both BA title and BA reason and

- place BA title + its control into a dedicated panel and BA reason + its control into its own dedicated panel

- check all the things discussed up to now for all the other controls and panels on the form.

Is it normal for every control and its label to need to be on their own panel? 

BA Title and control are now on their own panel, and BA Reason and control are on their own separate panel. Every control, label, and panel now has one gridline of space surrounding it.

further, I wonder how does your BA attachments works...

at design it looks like a text control but at runtime as a ordinary attachment control showing attachment links. why or where does this difference comes from?

do you overlap two controls? - that might be one of reasons why you experience these problems.

I don't know why the attachments were set up that way; this was built by the person who worked here before me. In the workflow, it makes a collection of the attachments, splits them, builds a string of the URL for each, then puts the URLs in a multiline text list column. I have replaced the text attachment control with the standard Attachments control.

There are no controls which overlap.

Here is how the form now looks in the designer:

image of form in nintex forms editor

Unfortunately, after all these modifications, the text is still running over the fields below it:

image of the form as it appears to the user

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

do you have formatting rules that are  assigned to multiple controls across the form?

try to eliminate such rules - write a separate rule for each (block of) control(s).

do you have anyhow customized nintex OOTB styles (nf-form-input, nf-section...)

check developer console for any errors reported. if there are any, fix them first, they may cause repositioning calculations are not invoked at all.

Is it normal for every control and its label to need to be on their own panel? 

it's not mandatory, of course, but it's a good practice

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Each rule is only associated with one panel.

Its control setting CSS class is nf-form-input nf-section.

Thank you for all your suggestions Marian. I have found a way to make it work: the BA Reason list column control and its associated label are on a panel of their own. For the control setting "Resize at runtime?", the control and label are set to "No", but the panel is set to "Yes". Also, everything below this panel on the form has "Resize at runtime?" set to "Yes".