cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rixdeanmcx
Nintex Newbie

Stop "Create Item" if the item exists

hello all, I have a form library where users can submit NEW projects or EDIT existing projects. I am having trouble with the new conditions. I have the library workflow set to run on item changed. So the user submits the request (new item) then the approver approves/rejects (item changed) if the item type is new and the form status is approved, the new item is created in a project list, then a workflow in the project list fires does some math, gets the MAX number and assigns the new item with a new project number. every thing works great to this point, then in the project list I have a workflow pause then write the new number back to the request form library. Unfortunately this action starts the whole process and it just keeps creating new items. Any ideas on how to run a successful Create Item just one time? I was thinking about adding an update item to the project inventory list workflow that updates a field in the request form library to "Item Created" or maybe there is some actions that solves this, still pretty new to Nintex.

Thanks for any help

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
2 Replies
borrajaya
Nintex Newbie

Re: Stop "Create Item" if the item exists

if I understand correct the problem here is two workflows starting each other unknowingly. you can solve this problem by keeping a condition inside your workflow to check if the new project item id that your are assigning is not blank. create an item only if the condition satisfied.

while your series of actions is bit confusing to interpret for me, do you really need workflow on the prime list to trigger every time item update happens ? you can take advantage of Conditional  setting available in the item modified drop down in there.

make a comparison around status fields to get the wf run only when appropriate, then it will make much fool proof solution.

0 Kudos
rixdeanmcx
Nintex Newbie

Re: Stop "Create Item" if the item exists

The short answer is yes because of the approval process, I have tried setting the modified to conditional but that sets up the same problem. When the Primary list (form library)  ItemType = New and the FormStatus = Approved the Create New Item fires, to prevent the create item from running again on Item Change I added an action in the project list to set a field (ItemCreated) to yes in the primary list. this seems to be working. Thanks for the suggestion I will see if I can apply it.

0 Kudos