cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Start the workflow when uploading document

Hi,

I have a simple Nintex workflow attached to my document library in SharePoint 2013.

The workflow is configured to start when item is modified.

In SharePoint, first I upload document, and in the second dialog I modify some properties...After clicking on Save, I expect that the workflow starts but it's not the case. Is it the normal behavior ?

Well, if I configured the workflow to start when item is created and when item is modified, the workflow starts before I modify some properties...

Can you give me some explanations ?

Thanks.

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
kapilkjoshi
Nintex Newbie

Re: Start the workflow when uploading document

Hello hari rakotomanga,

When you browse the document from upload window and click Ok, the document will be added to the library. The next screen which asks you to update the properties, is after the document has been added to the library. So your workflow would have already started. Now when you have update the properties of the document, the document gets updated but not modified as you are in creation mode. As the workflow is already running when the document was added/created, it will not start the new instance on the same document. Hope this explains your issue.

Not applicable

And if the workflow is only configured to start when item is modified, why it doesn't start after updating properties in the next screen ?

It's the Nintex design? or it's the same for an OOTB SharePoint workflow ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kapilkjoshi
Nintex Newbie

Yes, this is the case with OOTB workflows as well. When you update properties in next screen, you are still in creation mode. Only when you save the document and then edit it again, it is considered modified.

Not applicable

However, when you configure it to start when item is modified + Conditional option, it starts after updating properties in next screen if the condition is satisfied.

According to your response, I expect that it starts only when we edit the document again and the condition is satisfied...

Thank you anyway for your response

0 Kudos
Not applicable

You can add timer or delay in your workflow with loop and check any property has filled or empty.

You can set your workflow to start when item is created.

This scenario is also new for me, but I shared my thought may be it may help you.

0 Kudos
kapilkjoshi
Nintex Newbie

Here is a reference on similar topic.

Workflow: Email Notification based on conditions ... 

0 Kudos