cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Repeating Section not connecting to ID

For example, the ID of the list look up is Title, but when I put the list look up into the repeating section, the connection turns to "Not Connected" and there is no other option.

Is this a repeating section flaw or is there a solution to it?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Repeating Section not connecting to ID

Hi Haryanti,

The fields inside the repeating section cannot be connected to any variable or column. Instead, use a multi-line text field workflow variable and connect the repeating section this field (not the control with in the repeating section)

Now all the values entered in the fields inside the repeating section will be stored in this multi-line text variable in some sort of XML with GUIDs. In the workflow you need to use few regular expressions and string handling actions to get the actual value from this generated XML..

We have tried this with a Site Workflow start form. Not sure if you can do the same with list form. You can give a try.

Thanks,

Nidish

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Harayanti,

What are you trying to do with the repeating section?  It may be possible to achieve what you are doing, but in a different manner.

Eric

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello Eric, thanks for replying.
I actually have a few tasks to complete for the Repeating Section.

1) I cannot connect the list look up function to its ID in the repeating section. When I drag the list look up into the repeating section, the connection automatically turns to "Not Connected'. Without the connection, my list look up is unable to work. How do I fix this problem? Nidish replied saying that fields inside the repeating section cannot be connected to any variable or column, do you have solutions to workaround that?

2) Without the connection, it is impossible for me to use the filter function for the list look up. Unless I drag the list look up out of the repeating section, I will be unable to do this. Is there any solution to solve 1) so that I can move on to solve this problem? Or do I need to completely get rid of the idea of using a repeating section for this?

3) The information I entered for the repeating section is not stored. I want to store the information into SharePoint and also display it onto the next task form. Since there is repeating information, how do I make sure it stores into the SharePoint table? How do I accomplish this?

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Haryanti,

Nidish was correct that you cannot connect a field inside a repeating section.

When you mention using a list lookup function inside a repeating section, what is your end goal for the repeating section?  This is not something currently supported within repeating sections so you may have to rethink your process.  Why are you trying to have a list lookup repeat anyways?

As for the content being stored, this is done via XML and can be placed into SharePoint.  You must create a multiple lines to text column in SharePoint and link it to the repeating section.  For example you can create a field called RepeatingSectionData and then in the repeating section you will see this value as an option for connecting the actual section.

P.S. please note that I am not trying to steal your idea.  By sharing information such as "Sample List 1 does this and Sample list two does this..."  it provide me and other reader logic that we cannot normally see.  That allows us to provide further help that could benefit you.

0 Kudos
allan48728
Nintex Newbie

For future readers:

#2) One option is to have the actual lookup hidden (i.e. visibility:hiddenSmiley Wink elsewhere on the form, or, to perform a Javascript list query, and then using those values to populate a generic text dropdown menu that's populated via Javascript. Either way it appears you'll need Javascript to pull values from the hidden lookup control or from the list using the REST API. It won't be straightforward but it's an indirect way to get the same data you need into your repeating section.

0 Kudos
ramnikesh7
Nintex Newbie

Hi Eric/Nidish,

I have the same requirement as Haryanti. I connected the repeating section to list column which is Multiple line text (Plain Text) where it didn't allow me to select the Rich Text. As you said, it shows XML code in the sharepoint list.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><RepeaterData><Version /><Items><Item><SecureGroup type="System.String">3</SecureGroup><_x0030_e2de105-26ac-4b68-92a9-80a2eb7f7921 type="System.String">Finance Manager</_x0030_e2de105-26ac-4b68-92a9-80a2eb7f7921></Item></Items></RepeaterData>

Could you please tell me how can I solve this using workflow.

0 Kudos