cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Nintex Forms and Attachments

Jump to solution

Has anyone found solutions to any of the following that they'd be willing to share?

1) Multiple attachments in different form locations - The behavior I'm seeing is that the default approvereject.aspx page attaches all the documents at the bottom of that review page in a non-differentiated list, there's no way of telling which topic area the attachment(s) are meant to support. When I export a copy of the original input form and modify it for use as a custom approval form the attachments aren't visible on that custom approval page at all.

Any suggestions on how to best attach multiple documents supporting different subject areas on a Nintex form and display them to approvers during review as read only files in the same location they are in on the input form?

2) Is the list library the only option when including multiple attachments on a Nintex form? Form libraries and Document libraries don't seem to have an attachment feature. Am I missing something? <certainly possible>

3) When opening an attachment in IE 11 from the original item in the list library (converted to read only during approval), or when opening for approval from the approval request email, it's possible to click the edit Document button in Word and save changes. Something the auditors will have a field day with for this particular family of forms and workflows. Can that be avoided?

Thanks for any feedback.

Migrating InfoPath 2007 forms to sp 2013 on prem with Nintex Forms and WF.

Labels: (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Nintex Forms and Attachments

Jump to solution

Bob,

Lets address these one at a time.

Question 1 regarding multiple attachments to different locations:  The straight answer is NO.  The list that the attachments are loaded to can only associate a document with that list item.  You could try moving attachments around, but I would definitely not recommend that.

You may be able to use the name of the document and route it to a different item, but thats a long shot and I wouldn't want to see that workflow .

Question 2 regarding list versus document library.  Nintex forms is a list based form.  Basically it helps people capture information and stores that information into a list.  By default Forms and Document libraries do not have attachments because you are uploading the document directly to the library and not having it associated with a list item.

Question 3 regarding opening an attachement in IE 11.  I'm not sure what all you were attempting to say.  But if you don't want them to edit the attachments, look at getting IRM enabled.  Here is a link to some information on that. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Apply-Information-Rights-Management-to-a-list-or-library-67...

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Eric - Thanks for replying as I try to sort out new tools. I'll use your thoughts and other input to try get here >

How to create a collection of metadata (either List item or Document Library document) that also has supporting documents attached (or associated) so that they can all be processed together as a unit with Nintex Forms and Workflow.

To use a job candidate analogy > Applicant name, Status, Reviewed by..... (meta data) with multiple supporting documents representing a job application, additional documents for personal references and a resume
document (attachments).

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Bob,

In your researching look at the Document Set.  This allows you to collect information (metadata) about a candidate and upload other supportive documents such as resume, application, references as other documents, but all will be associated to the candidate.

Hope that helps. 

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Bob,

You can use a custom control (see document link below) that was devised by Vadim Tabakman to migrate attachments from any list item to a central point. I utilise it to move attachments from all task and item lists in a workflow to a document library. The document library contains columns that refer back to the original list item ID and can then be inserted into forms utilising a list view filtered on that referenced ID. It's very clean and you always know where the attachments reside. You can move the attachments from the workflow tasks to the List item or as I have done, to a document library.

Nintex Workflow - Get List Item Attachment in Base64 Custom Action (Happy Thanksgiving) - Vadim Taba...

I deployed the main workings of this greater control process into a UDA which can then be implemented in other workflows, based on key UDA input parameters.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks _ I'll be sure and take a look, especially how well document sets integrate with approver rejection followed by resubmission & role based security controlling read-only and read-write access of the attachments and form elements.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark_ Thanks for the tip. I'll set up a proof of concept and see if this will work as part of a solution for us. The additional requirements we have related to multiple attachment types on the form as well as toggling read & read-write security roles that change depending on form status are complicating things.

0 Kudos