cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Loop through list for approval workflow

Jump to solution

I'm trying to create a workflow that will loop through the items in a list using a For Each loop and send a Request for Approval to each of the emails (People and Groups) (one per item) . The workflow grabs the first item in the list but doesn't move on to the next item. Is there a way to set up the workflow to send to all of the records/emails in the list? Currently the workflow

1) calculates a date

2) queries the list for items that have expired

3) for each item

a) sets a variable for the individual email address

b) request approval sets the approver using the email variable

c) updates the list item once approved

d) sends an email to the declined user if not approved.

Labels: (2)
Tags (3)
7 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Loop through list for approval workflow

Jump to solution

Have you tested the Query action that it returns more than one item?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Lawrence,

In the example workflow that you provided, is there a reason that you are using a Run Parallel action to cycle through the same collection, using the same variables on each branch?  This could cause concurrency issues; one branch changing your current item ID before it is fully finished executing the other branch, and thereby causing this failure to proceed through the foreach loop.  Remove the parallel action and try giving it a run.

Thanks

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Log the number of items that have expired to be sure it is supposed to run more than once.

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

When I need to loop through multiple docs in a library (/items in a list),

I normally split this into 2 workflows: a list workflow and a site workflow.

The is first workflow is configured on the list/library.

This workflow would be the approval workflow for the individual item.

Having a look through your workflow export, I would typically use a Request flexi task rather than a Request approval action as that has more options, reminders, etc.

This makes this workflow a little more simple to manage and you have the advantage of a workflow status column to track the workflow on an individual item.

On another note If you have content approval turned on the in the version settings, I might also look to have the flexi task and the set approval status actions within an action set. Then the action set in the common properties can be configured to run as the workflow owner and thus get around any permission issues.

The second workflow I create as a site workflow.

This workflow runs a query list (which you could add a filter if you don't want all the items).

Output to a collection variable.

Then add for each to process the collection variable into a variable of type 'list item ID'.

The for each loop then runs the Call  web service action.

loop workflow.jpg

Follow the following guide on how to call the list workflow that you created earlier for each item.

Start a Workflow using a Web Service 

You can then use a schedule to call the site workflow either as a once off or on a regular schedule.

Be sure to use a non system account user to start it or otherwise you might run into some problems with starting declarative workflows.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gavin

Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have a follow-up question to this and I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, but here goes...

The list is rather large and I want to send an email reminder to each Manager (Person or Group field) on the list, but don't want to send them an email for every single record (one Manager might have hundreds of records and need only receive one email reminder to come to the site to complete the approval for their set of records.) Is there a way to loop through the list and get one record for each distinct Manager on the list before sending the email?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Start a new thread...

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Link to Lawrence Bunnell's thread for others to follow Send one Email Per User, Not Record

0 Kudos