cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Is it possible to obtain account info via workflow when Login ID is know but not Domain

I'm running into an issue with a project I'm currently developing.

In this project we obtain a person's name initially and then we are later provided their Windows Login ID.

Once we reach the point where we have their login ID, I need a workflow to link their entry to their Account.

Currently my workflow does this by updating a variable equal to

{Login ID} @ CompanyName.com

and writing this to a Person or Group column.

In 99% of cases this works, but some employees have a unique email address as their default and this causes the workflow to error.

Within SharePoint itself I know I can enter the Login ID into an add/edit item menu and it will always verify correctly... but I haven't found a way via workflow to validate a "person or group" entry using only this information.

For 'Person or Group - Account' entry, the expected format is

i:0#.w|{Domain}\{Login-ID}

Unfortunately, in this environment there is no way to infer the domain... so I'm at a bit of a loss....

If anyone has a workflow solution or other ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Labels: (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Is it possible to obtain account info via workflow when Login ID is know but not Domain

There might be another way that I haven't thought of but could you query SQL to lookup their domain?  You could have a mechanism in place to maintain a custom table to act as a mapping or cross reference that you could then query (or maybe you already have something in place you could use sql to query and retrieve this). You'd use the Execute SQL action inside the workflow to make this query.   You could of course store this info in a List as well but I think I prefer the SQL approach at first glance.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos