cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I get existing content types to appear in a request data action?

I've create a leave request workflow work from the canned model and it works fine. Trying to build a workflow which starts with a few data elements about new employees and then proceeds to where email is assigned, phone # assigned, and location noted. So far it will start but not much more. In configuring the request data action it asks for content type. I've read a little about it, but don't understand well. The option is to use existing or create new. I have never found any existing though I did locate a list of them on the root page. While trying to figure it out I did create a new one which now shows up as existing ("Email address"), but that's all. See attached PDF. Questions:

1) How do I get the real existing content types to appear?

2) How do I get rid of the one I created? It surely can't be right.

Thanks for any help.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Not applicable

Re: How do I get existing content types to appear in a request data action?

Use the link below to create your own content type for Request Data Action.

http://techrhodes.wordpress.com/2014/03/25/build-a-better-nintex-assign-to-do-task-form/

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Many thanks. Will work through this.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Jim,

I have found that the Help for Request Data is either confusing or not quite accurate (at least in SharePoint 2013).  The help says: "The list of existing content types will show all content types that inherit from the 'Workflow Task' content type".  However, when I create a new content type that inherits from "Workflow Task" or from "Nintex Workflow Task" it does not show up in the list of existing content types.

However, if I create content type inherits from "ZRequestFeedbackTask" (which is in the ZWorkflow group) the it will appear in existing content type list.  The problem that I have is that by the time I am using the Request Data action, I often already have my own custom content type, so selecting the option to create new content type could be a problem.  The concern is that if we have already created site columns for our content type, and we create new columns within the RequestData action, Nintex will create duplicate columns.  If the new column name you entered exactly matches an existing site column name, Nintex will create a new column with the identical display name, but it will add a sequential number to the end of the column's internal name.

Unfortunately, this creates a system that is very hard to maintain.  So instead, I create my own new content type that inherits from ZRequestFeedbackData and add my existing site columns to the new content type.  From what I can tell, this is the best way to address your issue.

Tom Castiglia

Hershey Technologies

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Tom,

We have the same problem and would also prefer to deply our own content type to address in nintex workflows request data task. I don't have the ZWorkflow group available on my site collection. Is this in Sharepoint standard?

Thanks

Roman

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Roman - I'm sorry for the long delay.  I hadn't noticed your reply before.  I'm not 100% certain, but I believe Nintex Workflow creates the ZWorkflow group when the software is installed.  This should be the case with Foundation, Standard or Enterprise.

Tom Castiglia

Hershey Technologies

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply