cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Help with Reminder WorkFlow

so, you have a site workflow, that updates plenty of/all  items in the list.

once the item is updated by a site workflow, list workflow is triggered.

list workflows queries the (whole) list to look for item which reminder need to be send out for => ie. if you have 100 items in the list (that needs to be reminded), and site workflow update each of them, you start list workflow 100x (one for each item) and each single workflow will send 100 notifications (again for each item) in a loop, so you end up with 100*100 notifications...

I guess this is not what is expected

it as well explains your question

Right now I want to add the description and title into the email messages, but whenever I use the item properties, it just repeats the description and title for all the emails even if its not the same item.

since you run the loop (eg.) 100 times on a single item you still get the same 'Description' from that current item.

either remove query list and loop action and let the notification run just once for current item once the workflow is triggered by DaysLeft change made by site workflow.

or move this existing notification logic to a site workflow so that it runs just once for all the items in list.

ieatorange98
Nintex Newbie

Thanks, but I need to query list to filter out certain stuff like if somebody doesn’t put a date on the due date column the email will not send and issue status column which needs to be ‘in progress’ to send the email. Is there any other way to do this? 

0 Kudos
avinashpatil
Nintex Newbie

Add both, Blank due date and In progress status in the Run If Action condition.

If Due date is not blank and Status is In Progress, add the email notification inside.

avinashpatil
Nintex Newbie

In case if the DaysLeft is not needed in any list views or reports/dashboard, moving the logic of sending notification to site workflow is the best option here. Usually such data is required in the reports to track the pending items in open status.

Automation Master
Automation Master

I need to query list to filter out certain stuff

assuming list workflow, you do not need query list for that. you can check respective list fields on current item from ItemProperties...

if somebody doesn’t put a date on the due date

if you require DueDate is provided, make it a required field on list or create a validation rule in form.

or you can default it to current date if not provided.

so you do not need to extar deal with empty dates in notification workflow.

issue status column which needs to be ‘in progress’

you can can configure workflow start condition so that it only triggers for items with current status = 'In progress'

ieatorange98
Nintex Newbie

But if I move it to a site workflow, will my workflow be the exact same as the one I posted (the first one)? I just need to copy and paste that? But then, how can I put the description and title for each of the items in the email notification? 

0 Kudos
ieatorange98
Nintex Newbie

I don’t think I can make it a required field in the list because, I’m not in charge of that part. Is there another way I can make it so that it will not send any emails for those items without due dates? 

0 Kudos
ieatorange98
Nintex Newbie

Yeah ur correct, now if there’s a 10 items for example, I just want to send the due date left for those 10 items including that individual items (title and description) IF specific conditions are met like it will only send if that item Issue Status column is ‘In Progress’ and will not send anything IF the Due Date column is empty/null.  

I want the list workflow to update each item individually and use their latest value in the DaysLeft and then make decisions whether to send or not. ( of course including whether it’s In Progress and if there is a Due Date).

Right now it’s just sending all the emails for each item, if the values in the collection variable meet the requirements, it’s fustrating .

I just want 1 email per item containing the days left value for that item and the title and description column values for that item.

0 Kudos
ieatorange98
Nintex Newbie

hi is this the correct way of doing it?

here's my convert value config

my Run if 3 to 0 config

^^^But it says the following fields 'Value' Cannot be blank? Any way to bypass this?

EDIT: Oh nvm, I got it I used the set variable function to store the DueDate into VarLookUpVar

my workflow for the rest

0 Kudos
avinashpatil
Nintex Newbie

Hi John,

To compare with a blank date follow below steps

1. Create a workflow DateTime variable - emptyDate
2. Add a Convert Value action before the Run parallel
3. Configure the action with input - 1/1/0001
4. The output variable is the blank DateTime variable.

5. Use the emptyDate variable in Run If