cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lindeman41
Nintex Newbie

Get All Appended comments and display in e-mail Notification

I have a column in a SharePoint List that is configured to allow "append" so users can append comments to this column.  Once the Task has reached its due date, a workflow notification is sent and I need to show "All" of the comments appended in the column.  Currently, my workflow only shows the last appended text.  How can I get all of the appended text and include it in the Workflow notification?

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
praios81
Nintex Newbie

Re: Get All Appended comments and display in e-mail Notification

The append text option works by using the list item versioning. So the field is a view through all versions of that list item and aggregating all the comments made. Because of this it is hard to get the comments history in a workflow as it only looks at the most recent version.

You could run through all versions by calling web services but this is complex and needs a lot of resouces. As an option you could use two plain multiline text column instead, one can be filled by the user, one is moderated by the workflow.

When I enter text in the comment box the workflow grabs it, appends it to the cumulated comments box and clears the comment box. So you will have the same mechanic but in just a single text box making it easy to work with it in the workflow.

Would that be an option?

Best regards

Enrico

0 Kudos
lindeman41
Nintex Newbie

Re: Get All Appended comments and display in e-mail Notification

Thanks Enrico, I think its more complicated than it has to be.  When the user approves/rejects the item, they can see all of the appended comments.  What I did to enhance it was to update the comment field in the list item with what-ever comments are made in the Workflow's "Approver Comments" field. That way, the users can see any comments made during the approval or rejection.  Much easier.

0 Kudos