cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Failed to publish workflfow

When publishing one of our workflows I encountered the error "SoapSmiley FrustratederverServer was unable to process request -->Failed to publish workflow. Error in application. I ran many tests and was unable to find a definite cause. Anyone know what causes this issue?publishError.PNG

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
Reply
5 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Failed to publish workflfow

Does any other workflow publish without problems?

Take a look a the log files.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Re: Failed to publish workflfow

Use your browser's developer tools (commonly launched with F12 key), enable Network tracing and don't clear history "on navigate".  There should be a call to the Nintex Workflow Web service from the page. Please have a look at the response and find error details there. If that's not sufficient, head over to admins and ask them to parse ULS logs for errors in the vicinity of the moment where you tried to publish. Remind them of the Merge-SPLogFile cmdlet.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Re: Failed to publish workflfow

Turns out it was a file size issue. I ended up splitting the workflow in two and it worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Re: Failed to publish workflfow

Me too, WF size was the issue. Deleted 100+ controls which I have disabled it for testing purpose. Thereafter, it publish fine. Thanks for the trick.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Re: Failed to publish workflfow

I traced the SharePoint logs and found the following :

Workflow dll failed to compile because it exceeded UserDefinedWorkflowMaximumComplexity of 7000

(http://XYZABC/_vti_bin/NintexWorkflow/Workflow.asmx): Nintex.Workflow.NWSavingWorkflowException: Failed to publish workflow: Error in the application. (Build:3190), Error saving from workflow export file.: Nintex.Workflow.NWSavingWorkflowException: Failed to publish workflow: Error in the application.

I increased the UserDefinedWorkflowMaximumComplexity using the following PowerShell :

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SharePoint") 

$new_limit = 50000;

$webapp = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication]::Lookup('webApplicationURL) 

$webapp.UserDefinedWorkflowMaximumComplexity = $new_limit 

$webapp.Update()

it is fixed and I could publish my workflows successfully.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply